Is This Worrisome Biting Behavior?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by FinnOfSoCal, Mar 2, 2017.

1. FinnOfSoCal

FinnOfSoCal Registered Users

Finn (now 19 weeks) has shown that he will bite/mouth/pull on clothes when he is frustrated/tired/looking for attention. I am unsure if I'm making it worse, but I'm also worried about how to teach him self control with frustration.

Today I had him at the coffee shop after a walk. He has always been fairly good, and today he was happily chewing a himalaya chew for a while. However after about 40 minutes he suddenly decided he was going to start biting everything in sight such as the nearby seat cushion, my backpack, and me. This included my jeans and forearm (was wearing a sweatshirt) and it was a harder bite than I had felt him do in a long time, left scratches. What concerns me is that he seems to be biting out of frustration. I'm unsure if he is just trying to get attention/play, or if he's tired and frustrated.

Usually if this happens at home he goes in time out in the kitchen. However at the coffee shop I had limited options as I was seated at a table. I was left to manually remove his mouth from my clothes in order to avoid them ripping by gently prying open his mouth and giving a low "no". Also taking hold of his harness gently but firmly to stop him jumping. But this just intensified his behavior.

No growling or aggressive-looking body language, and normally he does not bite me very hard (except today for some reason) but his biting escalation when holding either his leash, harness, or collar is concerning. Perhaps this is normal puppy behavior? I'm unsure as I've never dealt with mouthy puppies before.

I've seen this happen before when trying to remove him from the sofa. Trainer suggested to lead him off by collar or leash when he jumped up on the sofa, but he would start biting my arm (not hard or vicious, but troublesome) so I stopped that. I had only done it once or twice. But yes, concerning and I don't want him to be bitey when someone grabs his collar or harness for obvious reasons.

Obviously don't want to make things worse! Any tips on this issue?

2. FinnOfSoCal

Also, he doesn't always do this. It's when he gets into a certain mood. Often I notice he may be overtired.

He got his first bath yesterday and was a bit resistant at first. Had to hold him by the harness then, and he never once tried to bite or nip. So at least that's good.

3. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I think you answered your own question, he was tired. Maybe bored is the better word. I've never had a dog chew on anything for as long as 40 minutes. Not even as adults and with a real bone. I'm immensely impressed you even attempted a coffee shop, where you sat down, with a 19 month old puppy. We did "chill out" exercises and only got to 30 minutes and that was at home.

Edp likes this.
  4. FinnOfSoCal

Thanks. Yeah he fell asleep there last time, so I thought it would be fine to try again. Actually 40 minutes might be a stretch. I think he was chewing for maybe 30. I bring a small mat for him so he has a "place". I work from home so I sometimes struggle to achieve a work/puppy balance. Also, I want him bored with the public/coffee shop setting by the time he's an adult because I want to be able to bring him out a lot (very dog friendly city).

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would not be worried by this biting, as in, yes, it is normal behaviour. For the forseeable I'd aim for prevention and plan for much shorter stops at cafes - just long enough to drink a coffee and that's it. 30 mins is a very long time to expect a puppy to entertain himself or stay chilled in an interesting public place. I'd be happy with 5 mins at that age.

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Agree with the above. 40 minutes is far too long. He was bored, over-tired and acting out. It's perfectly normal. My normally good (now) Luna, who is just a few days younger than Finn just had a mad biting, thrashing five minutes, grabbing at my hands and clothes. She's tired from our training walk. I was trying to get her to wee before settling down, but she was having none of it, so I've popped her in her crate and she's immediately gone to sleep.

5-10 minutes would be far more appropriate at this age. You'll get there.

7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, he's over tired. Does he settle and snooze at the coffee shop or is he alert? If he's alert then just the Coffee shop or just the walk would be better.

Mollie (5 months) is hopeless at settling in cafes etc at the moment. It's her age.

:)

8. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I'm rather surprised that a trainer suggested leading a dog off a sofa by the lead/collar. Any trainer should know the potential in this situation, with the dog potentially resource guarding the sofa, for the dog to growl/snap/bite at being removed from a place he wants to sit. It is preferable to lure the dog off the sofa with a treat and train a cue for 'Off' or something such like. Grabbing collars/harnesses to move a dog (from furniture) or restrain them while trying to bathe them can lead them to becoming reactive to hands approaching which leads to growls/snaps/bites as the dog tells you that they do not like what you are doing. It's better to teach the dog that a hand touching his collar is good by treating and also that baths can be fun by taking the entire process slowly and c&t all the way

9. FinnOfSoCal

Yes I totally agree with this, and my instinct told me it wasn't going to work. So, I stopped doing that and used the lure method and telling him off. Also added in a supplemental training session of "go to your bed" and treating him at intervals while I sit on the couch.

10. FinnOfSoCal

Thank you everyone for your replies! I suppose I'm being an overanxious pup mom, but never really had to deal with a biting puppy before, like I said, so I got so worried! Like..."omg is he going to become an aggressive dog now!?!?!?" Hah :rolleyes:o_O

Last time he really settled at the coffee shop for quite a while. This time he didn't. It's always a toss-up. I like to give him the chance though. Maybe I'll try again today but just take a book to read for 30 minutes and not attempt to work.

11. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

Agree with everything said above, his behaviour sounds entirely normal. I'm staggered that he did 30 mins at a cafe with a chew. Plum would have been wriggling and bouncing and knocking over chairs and getting her lead entwined round table legs, I wouldn't even start! So he did amazingly and just got fed-up!

12. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Please don't tell him off - he really doesn't understand what he's done wrong. I always try to remember that we not only speak different languages but living with a dog is rather like perpetually living with a toddler :)

13. FinnOfSoCal

Hmm. So....ideas about him jumping on the couch then? He's never been "allowed" up, but he will jump up there for attention and just to do stuff. I'm unsure as to how to get it into his head that he is not allowed up there.

14. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I'd say give up and enjoy sofa cuddles - they're the best. I currently have the yellow thing draped across my lap and it's just lovely :)
    I was a "never on the sofa" person. Everyone said it wouldn't last. I disagreed. They were right, and I'm glad of it :)

15. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Agree. Give in and enjoy the cuddles :)

16. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Same! "My dog will NOT be allowed on the couch!"

[​IMG]

:rolleyes::D

17. FinnOfSoCal

18. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I read it as - I tell him "off" - ie "off" the sofa, rather than chastise him. So yes, teach him "off" means get down on the floor.

selina27, Snowshoe and Edp like this.
  19. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

My OH was a "never on the sofa and never ever ever on the bed" - Bailey now king of the sofa (usually laying on the OH - photo below just taken!) and he now has the most room on our kingsize bed! :clap::clap::cwl: I always said I wanted cuddles on the sofa and wanted snuggles in bed - I win!!!!

20. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

My OH was a "never on the sofa and never ever on the bed" person - Bailey now king of the sofa, and has the most room in our kingsize bed! Photo attached taken five minutes ago - OH with Bailey draped over his lap!

20170303_224419.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2017