Itchy 9 week old puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Matty, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Matty

Matty Registered Users

Our nine week old puppy Macey has been with us for one week now but all she seems to do is constantly scratch and lick her belly to the point where she is marking herself and has a rash. She would also lie with her belly on the grass and pull herself along. The vet hasn’t seen her yet but did give me Medication to take with her food on Monday but there has been no change so far and is up to date on flea and worm treatments.

We have been trying to keep her off the grass as much as possible the last few days to eliminate any potential allergies.

Has anyone else experienced this constant itching in a puppy?

2. Crofton138

Crofton138 Registered Users

My pup was itching quite a bit and I wondered if it was the fine sand from our artifical grass in the garden. I made sure her flea treatment was up to date, gave her a quick bath with Pet Head puppy shampoo and washed all her bedding/blankets. No problems since.

3. J.D

J.D Registered Users

If it’s on her belly where there is little fur for protection I would consider everything she lies on. Washing powder you use for your clothes. New bedding may need to be washed first in a mild detergent. Definitely stop the grass rubbing. I’m sure it will settle. I wouldn’t be too quick to give allergy meds as it could be something very simple. Try to keep her supervised and distracted so she doesn’t break the skin by scratching/licking.