Itchy Itchy Puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by alschwahn, Sep 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

Hi all! I haven't posted in a while as we have been crazy busy Since my last post Aspen has been to the dog park for the FIRST time and will also be getting another chocolate lab cousin this weekend so we are excited about that! He also turn 5 months tomorrow. I can't believe how quickly time is going by. Here are some photos of his from today:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

He still has yet to lose many of his baby teeth, but his canines are pushing through! He also still has to grow into those floppy ears.

I am posting because I have a question. We are going from summer to fall here in Wisconsin, and I know my allergies have been miserable, so I was wondering if its possible for dogs to have allergies as well? Aspen has been itching like crazy, and a lot more than normal. I checked for fleas and he doesn't have any, we also give him Heart Gard and Nex Gard monthly. I also looked at his skin around his legs and armpits where I actually have decent visibility of his skin under his fur, and he doesn't really seem to have any bumps or anything like that.

Should I take him to the vet? Should I be concerned? He doesn't seem to be overly bothered by it, just a lot more scratching and nibbling than I am used to seeing him do.

Samantha Jones and FayRose like this.
  2. Me and my dog

Me and my dog Registered Users

Not a reply to your question but is the chocolate lab visiting or you're getting another puppy?

3. alschwahn

No, we are definitely not getting another puppy yet! One of our family members is getting a chocolate lab.

4. Me and my dog

Me and my dog Registered Users

Wow to think Aspen was just a puppy some months ago...(even though I've seen recent ones)...My puppy Pearl turned 5mths on thos Sunday just gone... How do you upload a photo?

5. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Dogs can certainly develop skin allergies, which can be a reaction to environmental factors or food. I hope your lovely boy isn’t affected on this way -the lack of skin redness sounds good. It could be moulting/ shedding his coat which is making him itchy -some do have significant coat changes twice a year. Giving him a really good groom to get out any loose hair may help. But of course if the scratching worsens then you’d need to see a vet.

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

A friend of mine has a Black Lab who does itch this time of the year, there is no sign of anything untoward on her body to see. However, it is always worth taking your dog to the vet just to get checked out, you don't want it to become a problem.

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would go to the vet to have a chat about it. Being itchy is miserable and the scratching and chewing can lead to permanent skin changes if it's not addressed (I'm sure that Aspen is not at that stage - but you definitely want to avoid getting there).

Things like mould spores (from the outside environment) or pollen can be one cause of this if it's seasonal. As mentioned food can also be a factor. Sometimes it takes a veterinary dermatologist to work it out. Hopefully your vet can deal with it though. Our dog is very itchy in spring, summer and autumn but medications from our vet keep it under control.

8. alschwahn

You have to make a photo sharing account, such as imgur or flickr. I use imgur because it's easiest. You then upload your photos to the photo website, nd once they are stored there, you copy the link which is often called a "BBC Coode" and paste that into a chat on the forum.

9. alschwahn

He also got a bath last Thursday, to try to help with the shedding, do you think his shampoo might irritate his skin? We use Burt's Bees Oatmeal shampoo for dogs but it didn't seem to be a problem before. He is shedding like crazy, so I'm wondering if he is preparing for his winter coat?

10. alschwahn

I sure hope it isn't his food! He eats grain free right now and I really like what he is on because it doesn't cause stomach problems for him. I am also just wondering if it is the seasonal allergies, but if it continues I'll take him to the vet. He is shedding like crazy right now!

11. Joy

Joy Registered Users

It’s possible - sorry I know that’s not a helpful reply, but the only way to tell is either to have allergy testing or to rule things out one at a time. My last Lab had skin problems and in the early days I tried all sorts of things that either made no difference or made it worse (Aloe Vera for example). However he had red inflamed skin and definitely needed vet attention.

I think if you’re unsure the vet is the safest option. I know from bitter experience that letting skin become infected is to be avoided.

12. alschwahn

@Joy No, it's helpful! As a first time dog mom it's really nice to be able to ask others what their experiences have been. Even if you don't think its helpful, I do! :) I will of course make sure to keep an eye on the itching and if it worsens I will make a vet appt. Fingers crossed it stops!

13. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

You mention having bathed Aspen before you bathed him this time; how often do you bath him? I am wondering if that is why he is itching you may be drying his coat out. My Labs, one was 11 and the present one is nearly 6, have never had a bath in their lives.

14. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

This sounds a lot like Quinn at this time of year last year. She was itching like crazy and shedding like mad. We went on vacation and when we got back, she had lost all her hair around her mouth, and was had thinned out on the tummy and legs. We had several vet visits, but it wasn't until she developed eye infections and a skin infection that allergies were suspected. Prior to that, 2 vets thought she was shedding out her puppy coat. Watch his skin closely; if it starts to get dry and scaly, I would go to the vet right away before it's left to the point of infection. Now that we have entered her second summer/fall, she definitely has seasonal allergies. Other symptoms in Quinn are nibbling her legs/paws, shaking her head, light discharge from her eyes and sneezing plus the itching and hair loss. Once the first frost hits, all symptoms go away.

alschwahn likes this.
  15. alschwahn

We have had him for 3 months and have only ever bathed him twice - once when he rolled around in mud and once when he rolled around in a dead shrew.

16. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

It was just a thought :)