It's a Grade One Challenge

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by editor, Oct 14, 2013.

1. editor

editor Administrator

Today's article on the main website: Is your Labrador a Grade One Gundog?

Every year, hundreds of people take the Grade One Gundog Test. I became aware recently that some people think that they can only take the test at a pre-arranged test day, like the big one we held in Staffordshire in June.

However, anyone can take Grade One, at any time. You can book through as a group through your club, or with some friends, or you can take the test as an individual.

If anyone here is having lessons with a pro trainer, please do let them know that they can also book group tests for their students. They don't need to be GC instructors to enter their students in the grades.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: It's a Grade One Challenge

Sounds like fun! If this bloomin' dog ever learns to bring the dummy back, I might have a go....I reckon we're ok at the rest. Legging it with the dummy does seem a BIT of a barrier to a glittering gundog career though... ;D ;D ;D

3. editor

editor Administrator

Fantastic!

A lot of puppies do it - Rachael was one of the worst. It is annoying as it delays the more fun aspects of retriever training. You'll get there though - and then I'll remind you :)

4. David

David Moderator Forum Supporter

Yes remember it's meant to be fun. I find it easier to laugh at the dog's antics these days and they include some really embarrassing stuff like "This pheasant is mine and you can't have it back" after the first couple of real retrieves. ::)

Then the joy of Lady crossing a river to get a bird (she hates to swim) and bringing it back but hesitating at the water's edge and three or four guns and me egging her on so she did swim back and deliver. Magic moment with a big cheer from the guns! 8)

Don't give in!

SevandJack likes this.
  5. heidrun

heidrun Moderator Forum Supporter

Every gundog has to start somewhere and this is where Alice started! :D

[​IMG]

And Caddie, too. :D

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Ok, if he might get over his dummy kleptomania, it'll give us something to aim for. I'll have a closer look at what we have to do.

[quote author=David link=topic=2882.msg29999#msg29999 date=1381760283]
    "This pheasant is mine and you can't have it back" after the first couple of real retrieves. ::)
    [/quote]

Charlie, hand over a pheasant? I might be waiting a loooong time for that! ;D ;D ;D

Heidrun - distinction! I wouldn't expect anything less though!

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh I would love the get a certificate like that, I never pass anything :'( :'(

Well done Heidrun. Helen xx :)

8. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm currently working through the grade one book but Murphy has kennel cough so haven't done much training with him recently! the bit I'm worried about is the heel work!

I'm really looking forward to working through the grades as I love how it gives focus to his training and gives me something to work towards. :)

9. Oberon

Oberon Moderator Forum Supporter

Sounds like awesome fun :D

10. editor

editor Administrator

How lovely to see Alice's certificate :) thanks for posting it up Heidrun!

Fantastic, that's exactly what they are for :D

11. hd

hd Registered Users

I'm really struggling to do this. Every time I think we're ready, i decide the heel work isn't tight enough or she stops being able to sit long enough. Then when everything's good I decide we haven't practised in enough different locations.

As I've got older I've become so much more cautious. I was much better with my violin grade one. didn't really think about it but then of course i was 8 years old and nowt really phases you then :D

FEEL THE FEAR AND DO IT ANYWAY SARAH. MAN UP!

couple of months then ???

12. editor

editor Administrator

You can do it Sarah :) It is always a bit nerve wracking being tested, but everyone is very nice and will make you feel at ease. At worst you'll be no worse off than you were before, and at best you'll get to feel really proud of yourself.

Anyway, you've told us all now, so we'll be waiting! :)

13. hd

hd Registered Users

Thanks Pippa.

She is only just six months and don't want to rush her if an extra couple of weeks would do her good but I don't want to bore her rigid.

Fine line :)

I'll let you know.

14. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

This has given me the kick I needed to work harder with Sam . He adores retrieving, it is his passion and his reward . However , his steadiness is falling short and his delivery can be hit and miss , I guess I have fallen into the trap of thinking that as he wont ever be worked, it doesnt matter if he isnt spot on ? I would love to start the Grades , shall be starting in earnest this afternoon , just me , him and the dummy :)

15. hd

hd Registered Users

No steadiness needed for grade one :) look forward to hearing how you get on. Just love these tests as they make sure you "gan canny" and put the early groundwork in (like a tight heel).

The grade one book gas kept me sensible and slowed me down to get the best early obedience .

I think I'm going to enter in three weeks - beginning of December - just so I don't bore her to tears but give her the best chance to shine.

Best of luck go you. I always struggle to find a dummy thrower. Hope you've got more understanding folks.

16. Andtoby

Andtoby Registered Users

[quote author=editor link=topic=2882.msg29934#msg29934 date=1381741032]

However, anyone can take Grade One, at any time.
    [/quote]
    Pippa
    This may be a dumb question but where would an individual test take place.

17. editor

editor Administrator

Tests normally take place at an Assessor's ground. :)

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=editor link=topic=2882.msg36289#msg36289 date=1384810579]
    Tests normally take place at an Assessor's ground. :)
    [/quote]

"A gundog trainer I once spoke to" (remaining nameless) said s/he would travel to another trainer's field to do tests - and vice versa - so students could do the test "on familiar ground" - because both trainers wanted their students to always get distinctions! This would help me hugely - the difference between a strange field and a familiar one is huge for us!! (Which probably means we're a way off even grade one!).

19. hd

hd Registered Users

don't say "even grade one". it's a massive step (well it is to me).

We've had a bit of a serious set back. E. dog has been on crate rest for a week due to a clicking elbow and limp. Scared me rigid but thankfully appeared to be an injury rather than something long term.

she's now back to health and no clicking in her elbow was found by Vet today.

she's got springs up her bum now though so i need to get her calm enough to concentrate which as we're going back to normality slowly may take a wee while.

it will be interesting to see how much she's forgotten or chosen to forget during her week of confinement.

today she hasn't been able to sit for 5 seconds so i reckon that's the area of most concern!

20. Andtoby

Andtoby Registered Users

HD good luck with your stay
    Looking at the difference in test for grade 1 between spaniels and retrievers, it's the same apart from the stay
    30 secs for spaniels
    2 min for retrievers
    Seems a little unfair
    We are ready for grade 1, unfortunately it looks like the nearest assessor to Lincolnshire is Wakefield or Pickering a 4hr round trip in either case :(