It's a Grade One Challenge

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by editor, Oct 14, 2013.

1. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: It's a Grade One Challenge

The slimline dummies from kennelmate seem to be quite good for picky dogs, they're quite light (350g), slim(obvs!) and also on the softer side(some canvas dummies can be hard and off-putting).

You and Charlie can totally do this Helen. I agree with Pippa you've been successful at far harder things :D

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks you have more confidence in us than I do.

We are not ready yet but maybe something to think about by the end of the year. I feel maybe I just need to prove that Charlie can do it or not in his case ::)

Thanks for the tip about the small dummy and keeping it in our training bag Pippa, I will definitely do that :)

Barbara, thanks for the Kennelmate slimline dummies tip I am sure they would be great but they only have colour wise Chestnut, Chocolate or Trafalgar Blue, which colour would be best to buy please?

Lots of work to do :) x

3. bbrown

I'd get a blue one so you can see it. We've got a dark blue one, Riley doesn't struggle to find it and I can see where it is too :D

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks very much Barbara I will order a Blue one. That's a great website you forwarded me to. :) xx

5. bbrown

I can't claim the credit Helen :) it was a tip from Heidrun when I was struggling with Rileys retrieve.

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Well thank you Heidrun and Barbara for always sharing very useful information, I appreciate it very much :) xx

7. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

Helen, I am SURE you and Charlie can do it! Oh, think how PROUD you will be of him - and all of us as well!

I really like the graded assessment scheme - it gives you something to aim for, without being totally scary or competitive.

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=Karen link=topic=2882.msg51688#msg51688 date=1391328567]
    Helen, I am SURE you and Charlie can do it! Oh, think how PROUD you will be of him - and all of us as well!

I really like the graded assessment scheme - it gives you something to aim for, without being totally scary or competitive.
    [/quote]

Karen, I have to get a confidence boost and do lots of work with Charlie first, but I would be massively proud of him if he did it, we'll see :*.

Another question sorry, do you have to go to a specific place to take the test or does your local gundog trainer do it?

Thanks xx :)

9. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thank you very much Karen :) x

11. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Is the sit and stay part of the grade one test 1 minute or 2 minutes? I thought i read that it was 2 minutes but then just read that it is one minute?

12. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Do you lose points for using treats or is it strictly forbidden? It sort of seems like cheating in a way?

13. editor

editor Administrator

At Grade One it is two minutes for retrievers . Thirty seconds for spaniels

14. editor

editor Administrator

I don't see edible rewards as cheating, provided that they are genuinely rewards, not bribes or lures. However, many traditional trainers would disagree. Not to mention that some people are genuinely unclear the difference :)

This has just come up as an issue for the first time actually. We have never had anyone ask to use treats during a test until recently.
    From my point of view it is a question of treading a fine line between embracing our new, positive-only trainers into the scheme, and not upsetting our traditional trainers.

I have suggested as an interim measure, that we allow an edible reward at Grade One, but only at the end of the obedience section and at the end of the retrieving section.

15. Boogie

Boogie Moderator

Our trainer calls treats 'information' not rewards. So you are letting the dog know it's getting things right by the 'good' (or click) and reinforcing it with the treat. Once the dog knows a move it only gets a treat now and again - but every time + some jackpots for new moves.

16. editor

editor Administrator

Sounds as though you have a knowledgeable trainer :)

17. Joy

Joy Registered Users

For the retrieves, are you allowed to hold your dog to stop them running in? (I think we can just about do the stay now, but still not steady with retrieves.)

18. Tina D

Tina D Registered Users

Hi All, does anyone know if it is OK to keep a training lead attached in Grade 1 ie if it was attached but not picked up? Thanks. Tina

19. heidrun

heidrun Moderator

Hi Tina, it's been six or seven years since I did the grades with my springers but I don't think you are allowed to have a training line on the dog.

20. heidrun

heidrun Moderator

[quote author=Joy link=topic=2882.msg124263#msg124263 date=1416079373]
    For the retrieves, are you allowed to hold your dog to stop them running in? (I think we can just about do the stay now, but still not steady with retrieves.)
    [/quote]

Again this is just from my memory, but I think the dog has to be totally unrestrained and the handler can only send the dog when told by the assessor.