It's a Grade One Challenge

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by editor, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Thank you, Julie and Fiona, I'll take a look at alternatives or also get. Dexter may or may not get to be part of a local shoot where my husband is a beater. If he does get good enough, I've already said I'll have to be his handler as I'm the one training. I'm just keeping my options open at the moment, maybe field trials or agility.
    I thought that as I'm working so hard at having a dog that I can enjoy, have fun with and is well behaved, perhaps having something to work towards will be fun.
    I'll definitely wanting to keep with positive methods, using a gruff voice doesn't work, I laugh to myself when others talk gruffly to him sit sit sit and he ignores. I get his attention away from them and can almost whisper the word and he does it.
    I really don't want to spend our time tugging his leash and gruffing, fun fun fun all the way.
    The putting the thrown toy in my hand came about the other day when I bought a Kong that holds 8 or 9 pieces of his kibble. Dexter hadn't managed to remove them from their individual places hours later. I started to through it quite gently indoors for him to fetch back, then click and reward him from it. Then progressed to clicking and rewarding when he put it in my hand. It took him a while to realise that it was the Kong not his paw that I wanted in my hand as at first I got both, so stopped clicking and rewarding if his paw touched. I could see his brain ticking over as he fathomed it out, he was always rewarded with good boy and another throw. He's spot on with this now so game is up quickly.
    When we play ball his reward is another throw but whilst he's still in full enjoyment I end the game and give him a treat. He would retrieve all day now if I let him at home.
    Thank you for your answers and advice.
    Loving life with our boy and getting the chance to go round a muddy field in my wellies.

2. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

I now have grade 1 & 2 books plus a clicker gundog book and a brain game book. Should keep us both busy for a while. Thank you for your help and advice.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

I've been interested in taking my grades for ages, but haven't got around to it yet. I'm hoping that I'll manage to find time this winter, so I've been practicing.

Yesterday, I videoed them doing the whole Grade 1 "test". This was the first time I've ever done a two-minute sit-stay with either of them (I get bored far too easily) so I wasn't sure it was going to happen, but they did brilliantly :)

Grade One is aimed at 6-9 month old puppies, so my two are a little on the "mature" side for it (at two years of age!), but hopefully we'll be able to progress to Grade Two.

I think it's a great thing to do, gives you a focus and goals to work towards.

Here are my two monsters being put through their paces. Apologies for rubbish video!

Joy likes this.