I've trained my pup to bring in stones, snails or whatever he can carry in from

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Cupcase, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

Hi all.

Either I'm really stupid or Cupar is really clever.

When we brought Cupar home I followed him ( still do) everywhere in the garden.
    He picked up everything. I found out when I tried to get whatever was in his mouth out, he would run away.
    So rather than chase him, I went into the kitchen and got a biscuit to enable a swap of said item.

So now at 14 weeks old , he goes outside does his business then picks up a stone, runs past me into house
    and sits next to cupboard. He doesn't drop whatever is in his mouth until I produce the biscuit.

My family think this is hilarious.

Today's swaps were ,gravel, bits of twigs , charcoal from barbecue and the most precious swap, a snail. He actually rumbled that snail in it's shell in his mouth. Now as you can see all of these must be taken from him.

I can't remove him from these objects, or sadly the objects.
    I do hover a lot, but he's really quick in picking things up.

So if anyone who has any advice on un training this would be much appreciated.

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: I've trained my pup to bring in stones, snails or whatever he can carry in from

Sorry, but lol ;D ;D
    I choose my battles as to what's important.........I ignore twigs, small stones, mud etc - I completely ignore her, she gets bored and leaves it in the end........but will still get something if a snail or similar is involved (very rarely thank god).

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: I've trained my pup to bring in stones, snails or whatever he can carry in from

Hi there

It sounds like you are using the biscuit as a bribe (absolutely fine in an emergency ;D ).

You need to train a "give it to me" cue, which you can reward, but it will also work if you don't happen to have a treat.

Best of luck with it!

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh dear, he has you well trained.
    You need to move from a bribe to a reward as Julie says.
    Do you think if you didn't give him the treat until he naturally dropped it that would work? Would you be waiting forever? Maybe start with a more boring twig and work up to the escargots? Remember a reward marker or clicker would make this potentially mire effective.

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

By all means move from a bribe to a reward if you want your snails delivered to hand ;D But if you want to stop him fetching them in the first place then I'd just ignore this behaviour completely or else deliberately work on training him to ignore sticks, stones etc (start with one object in your lounge room, then two, then a bunch of different things, then move it out to the patio etc....same as if you were trying to teach him to ignore food).

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Very good point Rachael! ;D
    Just as well you are up and around to keep us right!

7. Oberon

I've thought of another option - you could start a little business supplying snails for the restaurant trade ;) In that case, definitely work on the delivery.

8. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=7342.msg101776#msg101776 date=1408054376]
    I've thought of another option - you could start a little business supplying snails for the restaurant trade ;) In that case, definitely work on the delivery.
    [/quote]

If I thought Ayrshire snails were any good I might. LOL.

[quote author=Naya link=topic=7342.msg101754#msg101754 date=1408050697]
    Sorry, but lol ;D ;D
    I choose my battles as to what's important.........I ignore twigs, small stones, mud etc - I completely ignore her, she gets bored and leaves it in the end........but will still get something if a snail or similar is involved (very rarely thank god).
    [/quote]

I do as well. I was rather good at it with Jake. This wee one has at the moment got the better of me.
    The problem is when he's left with it, ie. charcoal he crunched the lot. That problem will be gone shortly as
    barbecue gets cleaned properly.

Stones two of us witnessed him swallow one when ignored.

As for the snails , I live on the west coast of Scotland, it's green for a reason, it. never. stops. raining.
    With damp wet weather comes slugs and snails , lots and lots of them.
    The first week when we brought him home, he picked up and ate a slug. So off to the vet for a wormer to treat lungworm, just in case.

I think you're all correct. I know this is my own doing but in my defence, he was and still is such a tiny puppy for his age. Iknow,I know he's still a dog, and he still does doggy things. So time to start picking my battles with the items he brings in. I'll leave him with the twigs and hope he doesn't swallow what he chews.
    I shall watch him to see if he swallows the stones if not they can be ignored(I have a vision of going to the vet and a scan being done and them finding a stomachoch full of stones.)

The snails are a no go though. So today we begin the leave it training.

Thankyou all for your help and the laugh.

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'd go with the supply of snails business.

Best of luck with it! I never got Charlie to stop picking stuff up, no matter how long I ignored the behaviour - he enjoyed doing it for its own sake, it was a rewarding thing to do. So for me a quiet "hand it over" cue was the thing, used when I couldn't leave him with whatever it was. Leave it works so long as I'm watching in advance.

10. Oberon

I think the world is ready for locally branded molluscs. We've got Bresse chicken, Chianina beef, Ligurian honey - why not Ayreshire snails? ;) All individually selected by a trained Snail Hunting Dog (nice marketing angle).

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=7342.msg101804#msg101804 date=1408089425]
    All individually selected by a trained Snail Hunting Dog (nice marketing angle).
    [/quote]

That's a winner. And quite a skill. Charlie rattles snails round against his teeth....then approaches me with it and CRUNCH. Bluggghhhh.

(Yes, lungworm protection is always bang up to date).

12. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Haha!

What a clever dog!

I let Gypsy find out what's edible and what's not by trial and error. Anything she mustn't have I swap for a tasty treat.

:)

It worked with Tatze too - she once came in with a poinsened rat and swapped it for a tripe stick!!

13. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

Just home from work. Let both dogs out Cupar does his business and decides it's toooooo nice to come back in.

Until he finds a piece of wood, back gate had to be Cupar proofed , must be from that.
    Ran straight into kitchen, sat next to cupboard and got ignored.

I can not believe it , he's ate it. I went about my business , tidying etc and left him with it, I really hoped he would get bored with it. Oh no! tiny pieces left , not enough to chew it he bloomin ate it.

This pup is adding years to my age. lol

14. Oberon

Oh Cupar ;D Didn't you read the 'extinguish unwanted behaviours' manual?

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

;D ;D ;D

Charlie used to do that - he'd sick up the chewed mess later without any problems (sorry...).

16. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=7342.msg101853#msg101853 date=1408106616]
    ;D ;D ;D

Charlie used to do that - he'd sick up the chewed mess later without any problems (sorry...).
    [/quote]

Thanks I really look forward to that. lol