Jake hit the forest's

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by PaulaG, Dec 10, 2015.

1. PaulaG

PaulaG Registered Users

With Jake having had all his injections, we've been out and about getting him used to seeing things from his level, walking on the lead, and being off lead too. He's been so good, we've not had much practice at recall as he's not keen to wander yet, but I'm sure his confidence with grow soon enough.

Yesterday we went to Mabie Forest, it's about a 20 minute drive, he was quite good in the car too, only a few whines. He's in the car everyday for short trips, but still isn't keen, hoping once he realises there are nice walks at the end of it he'll settle. I had to laugh at him, to begin with he was walking quite funny, the feel of pine needles, wet leaves and the fine gravel must have felt really strange, but after a few minutes he was back to normal. We crossed a slatted wooden bridge, he didn't even glance at it, he just kept trotting along with the OH and I. Any time he stopped to sniff, I waited until he was heading our way and got a few recalls in :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He's been very good at offering sits when I stop while we're out, I've been encouraging this with nice treats.

He was very interested in a small stream we walked beside, so I went and stood in it, it was only 2 strides across, Jake came in without any persuasion, proceeded to get the zoomies, and zoomed straight into a deeper bit. It came up to his chest, and he gave himself a right fright, silly boy. The water would have been really cold, he wasn't impressed.

We've mostly been doing off lead walks, lots of change of directions, and general exploring so far. He's taken to his harness very well, and offers a sit to get it on, in fact he's picked up his sit command very well, and offers a "sit" quite a lot now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We're off to our first puppy class tonight, so that should be fun, and he'll get to meet a few puppies and more people :)

He's been my shadow since we lost Misty last Friday, we couldn't get him to settle downstairs at all on Friday night, so he's now sleeping upstairs on our bed. He nomally sleeps though until after 5am, on Monday it was 6am, this morning it was 4am, but he pooped outside straight away, an elephant would have been proud at the size of it!

I'm really trying to work on him being on his own, to begin with on Friday if I went to the toilet he sat and howled at the bottom on the stairs. This has now stopped, I just kept going upstairs, walking around the bedroom and coming downstairs ignoring him. We've obviously had to go out, we went shopping on Sunday, I had the hospital on Monday, and then yesterday the car's service. I've been leaving him with kongs, unfrozen at the moment, as he still can't "get it", and a tripe stick. He's okay until he finishes eating, and then the whining and barking starts, but it's not as frantic as before. Yesterday, I was out for 2 hours with the car service, the longest he's ever been left, and he was laying in his bed when I snuck in, he got a fright and barked at me.

I know I'm biased, but he's such a good boy. His mouthing has became nibbles, and this is mostly when he's over excited or tired, he's not eaten my candles on the hearth yet, and the house training is going well. He even pooped in the field on Monday, I was so excited to tell my OH, as it's the first time he's done it outside the garden. Honestly, getting excited over poo!

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Aw, he's such a cutiepie!! And he looks very smart in his harness.

Ah, yes, the excitement of pooping outside for the first time. In a few months, you'll have the excitement (and potential hilarity) of him cocking his leg for the first time. The excitement wears off in time :D :D :D

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

He's gorgeous :) Glad you had such a lovely walk with so many new experiences that he took in his stride.

Sounds like things are going really well! And we definitely understand getting excited about poo :)

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Lovely boy and the woods are great for walking and gaining new sights, sounds and scents. Out and about with Juno I've always recalled her at random times and treated for the response and also sometimes just clip her lead back on for a few 100 metres and then release her again. For me it encourages a recall, as it is something nice, and by mixing up the clipping on of the lead it doesn't mean that the fun is all over.

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

What a sweetie! And he sounds like a lovely, clever boy too, who learns quickly. Ooh, those first walks, when the whole world is new and exciting!!

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Ah, so lovely. He looks adorable, all dressed up in his harness, ready to explore the world. :):):)

7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

What a good little love he is , and very sweet too :) So pleased that you have Jake off lead, its the very best age to do this , sounds like he is going just grand :cool:

8. PaulaG

PaulaG Registered Users

Thanks everyone, I just hope he stays this good :)

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

What a sweetheart x

10. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Sounds like a fabulous first outing. Lots of exciting things to see and do, and doing so well. He's a lovely looking fella!

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Jake is a real sweetie! Sounds like he is getting on really well :)

12. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Such a cutie Enjoy as they grow very quickly!