Jake is home

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by PaulaG, Nov 1, 2015.

1. PaulaG

PaulaG Registered Users

We picked Jake up this morning, he's just too adorable :D

We're totally smitten already. He's too much for Misty at the moment, she wants nothing to do with him, neither does the cat, nothing to worry about I know these things can take time. He's been active and into every corner downstairs, playing with his bone and his teddy, his teddy seems to be a big hit. He's had a couple of power naps, pooped and peeped outside too. He's had a meal in his pen, and one in his crate which is in his pen.

He's been whining quite a lot, which we've been ignoring, which is quite tough, but we know we're building foundations for the behaviour's we want later in life.

There are a few things that have cropped up, the puppies have been in a kennel for the last fortnight, so housetraining is at the very beginning, so we've had a few accident's inside over the day. He's out every 30 minutes or after a nap, but went straight after coming back in. It's obviously very early days, and it's been 9 years since our last pup, so we'll keep going out and mopping up where needed.

The more concerning thing is the 3 poo's he's had since coming home are quite runny. He was wormed this morning, and obviously he's had a big day, but his first poo was soft within an hour of getting home. Does this seem normal? I will be changing his food eventually, he's on Purina puppy sensitive stomach, which I don't rate personally. Could this be part of the runny poo?

The other thing is the breeder recommended soaking his food. I've never done this with my pup's, surely at 8 weeks he'll be okay with puppy food as it comes?

He's at the Vet tomorrow for his health checks by the way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Oh my, he is scrummy and gorgeous . I wouldn't worry too much about the runny poo......I think it's quite normal after all the upheaval over the past day or so. If it doesn't settle in a few days you could try a bit of rice and chicken to help firm things up.
    Some people do wet the food for the first week or two, but not everyone. I wouldn't say the food was very good so could also be making his tummy worse.
    Harley was in kennels and we started toilet training when she came to us. If I saw her sniffing and circling I would quickly pick her up and take her outside. I cleaned up any accidents with simple solution as it isn't anmonia based. Keep rewarding every time he has a wee of poo outside......they pick it up quite quickly.
    Look forward to seeing more puppy pics

3. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Oh he's beautiful.

4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

He is gorgeous! (I wouldn't lay bets on the survival of your candles though ;) ) Molly was outside with her breeder but house trained very quickly. I think after a long gap you forget what puppies are like; I certainly did.

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

He's gorgeous. I wouldn't be too concerned about the pools, he's had quite a day and it's not that unusual and with a wormer thrown into the mix as well. Juno's poos used to be softer when she had a wormer when she was little. I would wait to change the food until Jake has had more time to settle., and at the moment I would stick with the breeder's advice and moisten the kibble if that's what he's used to. Plenty of time to switch to kibble without the added liquid although some do moisten kibble to bring more flavour out.

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

What a little darling, they look so innocent and defenceless at that age :) I always put warm water on the kibble I give my dogs, but don't soak it.

7. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Oh look at him

I remember that gorgeous puppy coat and the puppy smell, oh the puppy smell

We never soaked Ella's food because our breeder didn't (and I'd never heard of it). As Rosemary said though, I'd stick with the breeder's recommendations for now to ensure there are as few changes for Jake as possible.

Good luck and keep those photos coming! ☺

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

What a lovely boy!

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hello Jake!
    Gorgeous :)

10. jojo

jojo Registered Users

He's GORGEOUS!!!! Piper was on dry kibble by the time we brought her home on Thursday at 9 weeks xx and she manages no problem (oink) but that's was the breeders doing, she was having it soaked at my 7 week visit though. I'd stick to what the breeder was doing and gradually introduce un soaked kibble xx

11. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Jake's a lovely boy! Hope he sleeps well!

12. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

He's beautiful! He's had a lot of upheaval which might be messing with his tummy, so I wouldn't be too concerned over the next day or so if he generally seems happy and is eating/drinking well.

I think it's very common to soak puppies' kibble. I've never done that, but I do feed my two their kibble topped up with warm water. They have so little actual food that I feel better knowing that it takes them longer to eat, and their tummies will be fuller for no extra calories. I don't do anything than put the water in the bow, put some warm water in and then feed it, though. No soaking, and there hasn't been since I brought Willow home at 8 weeks.

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Awwww....he's lovely. :)

I don't soak kibble, or add water to it, and never have. There is a small (but everything counts) benefit to teeth from the crunch of dry food, so why not have it?

If he'll eat his kibble dry, I'd give it to him dry. I'd only mix water with food if a dog had some reluctance to drink.

14. snowbunny

Mine didn't drink water from the bowl when they came home. For some reason, they weren't interested. Adding water to their food increased their hydration and also slowed them down. But the food was still dry, just with water on top.

I personally don't believe there is any real benefit to the teeth in the food being dry. You feed kibble, you need to brush the teeth. The kibble, dry or not, doesn't clean the gum line.

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I do believe dry food is better than wet food - it might not be a big impact, but I do think there is one. When Charlie moved onto wet food his breath got really, really smelly. For sure, crunching kibble is not going to be like crunching a bone, it's still some crunching though.....

16. Rocky-mum

Rocky-mum Registered Users

Oh , he is soo beautiful :) If I ever decide to have another lab puppy , it is going to be chocolate . I have started falling in love with that color in lab. Enjoy the time with him , they grow up so fast ..

17. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Oh puppy, puppy puppy i definately need another
    Oh yes kibble never soak it never have.. Rory tummy was upset when we got him home but he had just travelled to his new home and wormed so i just kept an eye on him. He was ok after a few days.

18. PaulaG

PaulaG Registered Users

Thanks everyone. We didn't soak his last 2 meals, we gave him it dry.

We took his crate upstairs after letting him out at half 10, and I set the alarm for half 2, he fussed for 5 minutes and then settled. At half 2 he was still asleep and dry, popped outside with him and he just lay down on the grass :rolleyes: he didn't seem to pee and the torch was playing up. (New one needed today). That was him until half 4 when I heard him stir, this time he pee'd and then settled until 7 this morning.

Took him out, no pee or poop in his crate, and only wanted to play outside. Fed him breakfast and before I could lift him he pooped in his pen(a nice formed one). Once we were outside he pee'd, came in and played and is now sleeping :)

19. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Oh bless, Jake is so gorgeous.

CarylB likes this.
  20. snowbunny

A friend of mine last night asked me to help her find a choccy pup. Eeeep! :D :D :D