Jessica doesn't like the outside world

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Susieq, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Susieq

Susieq Registered Users

my 5 month old puppy doesn't like to go out for walks and doesn't like traffic. She will throw herself around in the air, on the ground and try to get out of her harness backwards. She will continue to do this and I am scared she will hurt herself as she is in a mad panic. We are now getting help but she is still doing it, no treats help as she is in to high a state of panic to notice them.

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Would it be possible to put her in the car and take her to the countryside well away from traffic? To get her used to traffic you need to be at a distance to start with, far enough away that she will take treats, and gradually get closer. If you live in a busy street, could you sit with her in an open doorway looking out at the street and reassuring / rewarding her?

UncleBob and edzbird like this.
  3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley used to have trucks and buses going down the dual carriageway which we had to walk on for a few mins to get to the field. I done exactly what Joy suggested........I carried her to nearly the end of our road and sat on the grass just back from the dual carriageway and gave her a treat for every large vehicle that went past. We moved closer to the pavement over a period of 2 weeks and continued to treat as before. It took another week of walking up and down the short piece of road for her to be able to calmly walk without ducking / throwing herself around.
    Whilst we were doing this, I drove to places to let her off lead to still let her have a good walk / play.

UncleBob likes this.
  4. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

I can't add a vice but am interested to know more about the kind of help you are getting.

We have ongoing problems with Homer's fear of noises. if he hears an unusual unpredictable noises when out and about his anxiety can quickly escalate and he'll pull and twist backwards. On a few occasions he's very nearly been about to slip his collar off. When he's like this even the tastiest of treats won't tempt him.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello there, and a warm welcome

When did you first notice this behaviour? Is this the first time she has been outside since you got her?

You need to be far enough away from the traffic - or whatever is bothering her - so she isn't throwing herself around, and is able to take a treat from you. Then you can edge closer, very slowly, it might take some weeks or longer.

6. Millieboo

Millieboo Registered Users

Oh no, I hope you get some good advice (like the ones above). I started training Millie getting used to cars super early just by having my husband going slowly on the driveway back and forth and we gradually moved closer each day.
    Now we got another problem with cars and especially motorcycles... Millie tries to chase them if we're out walking. Luckily she listens to leave it (which I tell her when I realize she's staring at a car with that body language).