Joy at flyball.

Discussion in 'Agility & Flyball' started by Candy, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Candy

Candy Registered Users

Yesterday little Joy and I went to flyball for the first time and I came away so proud of her! When we did basic training back in October/November last year she was so restless and bitey that I ended up wearing gardening gloves every time:confused: and I did wonder if she'd be the same at flyball but was keen to try it. She was a little over excited when we first arrived and kept jumping up at me but after doing Sit, Down and Stay a few times with copious rewards she got the idea and settled down really well. Flyball was totally MAD! Lots of very excited dogs, lots and lots of barking but she just sat quietly watching it all with her Thinking Face on. She did brilliantly at the first exercise which was following me as I ran over the hurdles waving a ball and calling her name like a lunatic and her recall once we'd done this was spot on (Thanks, Pippa!) whereas a lot of the other dogs ran off to try and play. She didn't bark a single time and even the other really steady dog there, a lovely 5 year old black lab gave a couple of woofs! The only thing she struggled with was running away from me over the hurdles to the trainer who was calling her name and waving a ball at her, She was OK over one hurdle, then two, but drew the line at three. The trainer (who she knows as she goes there for daycare) said she might be becoming 'ball averse'. I didn't say anything at the time but she really isn't ball averse, she's averse to doing the opposite of what she's been trained to do for the last 10 months, which is to stay reasonably close to me and come back when called!
    It's very early days and she's a clever little dog, so I'm sure we'll get there eventually. I thoroughly enjoyed it and she clearly did. Both exhausted and very hungry by the end of it and I now feel like a very proud parent. We're meeting friends for a drink tonight and I shall TRY not to boast too uncontrollably!:D

snowbunny, charlie, drjs@5 and 5 others like this.
  2. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

That sounds great! I really want to try flyball at some point if I can find something nearby. I have watched it a few times, and it is very loud, so great on Joy for not barking!

3. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I love this :)

Well done little Joy, sounds like super fun for everyone. I think you should have a really good brag :)

I'm sure Cassie would love it, but I really feel my jumping over hurdles waving a ball days are done :)

There's nothing better than that lovely feeling than you and your dog sharing a good time together.

Candy likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah, that's great! Well done, both of you!

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Moderator Forum Supporter

Fantastic....what a good girl!

6. Candy

Candy Registered Users

I so much agree with this Selina, I think training or anything related is one of the most positive and bonding things you can do with a dog.Just to let you know the hurdles are about 2 inches off the floor, so not that much of a challenge. I managed to temper my bragging in the pub tonight, minimally (ish!) but there was some, totally unashamed boastfulness for fellow dog lovers! Very dog friendly pub, so well understood.Husband, who because of physical health problems is no longer able to be so involved in the walking of Joy said tonight 'You've done so much good work with her!' (Quite high praise) and on our walk thismorning we met a woman with two dogs who Joy played with so well ( the dogs, not the woman) We got chatting and it turned out that she is a dog behaviourist. She's based where Joy goes occasionally for daycare and where the flyball happens and she said 'What a lovely sweet chilled dog.' Then on the way home there was a man in a mechanical digger. Joy did what she always does when she's interested in something, she sat down and watched with her Thinking Face on. The man working the digger turned everything off and came out to talk to her. Joy wagged and licked and was sweet and polite. He said 'I've been having a crap day but this little darling has just turned that around.' This is the joy of Joy! This is also a few glasses of wine talking. But hey! it's Friday night, and after a very sad loss last year and doing all the subsequent new puppy stuff, which has been hard at times I'm totally, completely and utterly in love with this sweet dog now ,,,,,, have been for some time really. It's just really really hitting home now and I can see it in her eyes too, the bond.You could say 'Wine speaking' but I'm pretty convinced I'll feel the same tomorrow.

snowbunny, Lara, Joy and 7 others like this.
  7. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Well, the wine had some lovely things to say about your lovely Joy. How nice that the digger operator actually turned off his equipment to come and say hello and get some cuddles, that's really lovely.

8. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Let the wine speak :)

Sounds like you found the perfect name for your little bundle. It's great to get all those positive remarks -- and all in one day.:)

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Moderator Forum Supporter

My eyes are leaking x

10. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

In vino veritas!! (I may have shed a couple of happy tears, too...)

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

What a lovely post to read. Well done to you and Joy xxx :)

12. Candy

Candy Registered Users

Thankyou everyone for your lovely replies to my slightly wine induced post. But YES! I still feel exactly the same today and love the little sweetdog more than ever. What about this sunshine though? (For those of us in the UK) I mean, it's all very lovely for walking, but it does tend to show things up. By 'things' I mean dust, dog hair, mud and all the rest of that glorious labrador stuff.... I thought vaguely that I should clean today. Then I thought 'No! the sun is shining I'll walk my little Joy now. We can clean when it's raining. Reasonably good dog mother, I hope. Disasterous housekeeper

edzbird, drjs@5, SwampDonkey and 2 others like this.
  13. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster Forum Supporter

It was a happy post @Candy :D

I bought a new mop today from my local hardware shop. The owner (who I know in passing, seeing him round and about) said, as I paid for it , "you can get all your cleaning done now, love"
    How I did not hit him round the head with the mop I don't know. MY CLEANING ?:mad::mad::mad:
    Of course, OH just floats round the house creating no dust, dirt, grime or washing :rolleyes:

snowbunny, Candy, edzbird and 3 others like this.
  14. Candy

Candy Registered Users

Hey leejane! That's not just a 'like', that's real proper LIKE. And woman after my own heart!

leejane likes this.
  15. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

This is where you answer "oh you sweet man, the mop is for my husband! You're not implying that only women clean, are you? It is 2018 after all." And then you sashay out of there with your head held high.

leejane likes this.
  16. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster Forum Supporter

Yeah, if only I had thought of that in the shop. I just gave him evils. :mad:

17. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

My very clean obsessional mum in law once bought me some special soap to clean Chris's shirt collars as she'd noticed how grubby they were..... I looked her in the eye and said oh look Chris your mum's just got you something to clean your shirt collars with isn't that nice. Handed him the soap. mmmm never happened again.

snowbunny, Candy, leejane and 4 others like this.