July/August challenge - working around food

Discussion in 'Forum Challenges' started by snowbunny, Jul 13, 2017.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Take it one step at a time. Remember, it's about choosing the level that works for you, not trying to do something that's unachievable. So start with his default "leave it" with the food bowl and just add a tiny behaviour that he finds easy before he can take it.

Looking forward to seeing your videos Jen! :)

Snort.

I always look back at my videos and I shudder. The best trainers always look so calm and quiet. I just look like I have ants in my pants :D

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

@JenBainbridge Give it a go, it's easier than it looks, no offence @snowbunny, I have just done 5 minutes with Hattie & Charlie in the yard, they got it pretty quicklyand enjoyed themselves which is what it's all about. Lots of work to do but it's fun! You WILL surprise yourself ;) xx

selina27 and snowbunny like this.
  3. snowbunny

No offence at all, it is easier than it looks! :D

charlie likes this.
  4. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

Ok, I'm going to be brave and upload some 'before' videos. Though we've already made some progress. Bear in mind I've never asked for any type of behaviour for Mont's dinner - he automatically sits but then just grabs at the food asap. only about 25% of his food intake is from food bowls so I really don't have any issue with it really. However....

(I filmed these really quickly as I got home today whilst trying to cook dinner. I had visions of a smooth editing process but at bedtime on Friday now it's not going to happen. Forgive the shaky filming,bits I should have cut, unkempt Friday night dog detritus filled house and brummie accent)

First go - this is what happens if no cue is given:

then, (this exact process repeated twice ) food removed first time, then second time he waits for 'take it' cue

and fourth go, he waits (albeit only 4-5 seconds) for a 'take it' cue.

5. leejane

Phew. Videos I think work. That's an hour I'll never get back. Next step something more challenging.

Stacia likes this.
  6. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Wow, huge progress in such a short amount of time!

Can't wait to give this a go later :)

7. leejane

thanks, I am having one of those guilty moments when I realise he is so bright and could do so much more....

8. snowbunny

Oh, that's wonderful Natalie! Well done on the "before" videos, and it just goes to show how quickly they pick it up.

I had to laugh at the chocolate head staring down at the food. Remind anyone else of another chocolate drop? @Beanwood? :D

Beanwood and drjs@5 like this.
  9. leejane

I know, it's almost pathetic , isn't it? Probably why I've never enforced any sort of wait as it just seemed mean.

10. leejane

I know, it's almost pathetic , isn't it? Probably why I've never enforced any sort of wait as it just seemed mean.
    Maybe I should be un-encouraging this, but he loves food in a bowl... our challenge for August...

11. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Ok, we decided to wing it and I was quite happy with the results. I started with a simple sit/drop to see if she would focus without running in...not too bad. As you will see, she did struggle to run past the bowl so I had to up the enthusiasm a little! Her heeling wasn't too bad but she did lag as we went past the bowl so I did a quick spin and ended it before we failed. Hopefully the videos work as this is the first time I've tried using YouTube!

<iframe width="480" height="270" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Oops, I managed to give you an extra video:rolleyes: o_O

13. snowbunny

Great videos Emily! Ella is a star. I think you get extra bonus points for the flowery wellies :D

Emily likes this.
  14. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I had so much trouble finding a good pair of gumboots. I finally found a style that I liked but they only came in horses or flowers :rolleyes:

snowbunny likes this.
  15. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Well done Emily, with the challenge and you tube. Oh, and not forgetting the wellies!

16. leejane

17. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Our first attempt for a bit of fun on a rainy Saturday morning. We're going to build up to cheese and managing to walk past the bowl.. hopefully :rolleyes:

18. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Well done @Emily that's class!

I think I have a girl crush on Ella :inlove:

19. Emily

Emily Registered Users

@JenBainbridge I love how you say 'thank you" before letting him have the food! It us important to maintain our manners :D

Honestly though, how do you ever say no to that face??

snowbunny and JenBainbridge like this.
  20. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Well done @leejane -Monty is learning so quickly. And such a sweetly earnest expression!
    Loved seeing the others too. I thought I'd videoed us yesterday evening but when I went to upload it I discovered that I'd turned the video off when I thought it was on and vice versa, so all I had was video of me clearing up. :rolleyes:
    I'll have another go later today. I think the technology challenge could be tougher than the dog training...

drjs@5, Naya, selina27 and 2 others like this.