July/August challenge - working around food

Discussion in 'Forum Challenges' started by snowbunny, Jul 13, 2017.

1. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

Here's our attempt so far! In the first video Lucky is a bit confused about me holding my phone, so for the second I tried filming from a distance.

With the circle cue he learnt with a cone, and he goes tight around the cone, but with the food he keeps a distance from it!

Started off in the house - will try to film some outdoors at the weekend!

Sven, kateincornwall, Naya and 7 others like this.
  2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

@lucky_dog That's fantastic, I love the way Lucky can do lots of different things so close to the bowl and he keeps his eye on you. Love it xx :)

3. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Lovely video. I'm especially impressed with the circle around the bowl, I think Ella would really struggle with that!

4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

@lucky_dog That's so good -especially going round the bowl. I'm not sure if Molly would do that -another one to have a go at.

5. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Lucky's tail is amazing :inlove:

6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Blimey that's good! Specially getting Lucky to walk around the bowl...OK note to self (or Casper...) must work harder!

7. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

Thank for the nice comments! I was pleased for a first try. He's done a couple of things ignoring food before, but never with the circle cue, and don't think we ever used a bowl before. With the circle, he's chosen to keep far away from it, and not even look at it, to avoid the temptation which is quite sweet.

I have to say though, he's not the biggest foodie! Once we were in the park and Lucky was sniffing something, and next to him was a pizza box lying open with an entire pizza in it. I didn't say anything to see what he'd do, and he didn't even bother to try and eat it. If I asked him to do a circle around a person it would be much much harder for him!

kateincornwall likes this.
  8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Willow: o_O
    Shadow: o_O
    Luna: o_Oo_Oo_O

I've not watched the videos yet... I'll be back to see them later :)

lucky_dog likes this.
  9. Beanwood

OK...the three amigos! :D:D

The exercise

1. Sit whilst OH drops treats into the bowl.
    2. Walk nicely in a heel around bowl and pole x 2
    3. Sit...wait for the "take it" cue...

I have zipped three short vids together...can anyone spot the difference between Brambles challenge vs Casper and Benson? ;)

Sven, charlie, selina27 and 6 others like this.
  10. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Woo! Lucky is fab at this. His focus on you is amazing. Well done both :D

11. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Yay! Well done all three (and especially Casper :chuckle:)

Bramble walked anti-clockwise so she didn't have Marcus between her and the bowl - good girl! I think Benson could have done that too.

Beanwood likes this.
  12. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Bramble, Casper, Benson - very well done. Especially Casper, who we know was struggling. Great work.

kateincornwall and Beanwood like this.
  13. Beanwood

Good spot @Joy! We lowered the criteria for Benson, but will try again tomorrow without OH between the bowl. I loved the way my OH gave a little bit of time with Casper to make the right choice, then the encouragement, you can see how well Casper responds to his praise :)

Joy likes this.
  14. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Yes it was lovely to see how happy they all looked. I think Casper was quite pleased with himself!

Beanwood likes this.
  15. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Is it really bad that part of me was hoping Casper would be like "nah, I want the food!"

I love that dog :cwl:

Stacia, Joy, Beanwood and 1 other person like this.
  16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

These are brilliant!

17. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Wonderful! I do love how different they all are! Bramble finds it a lot easier than the boys, she's like "I have a job to do, that's my whole purpose in life'.
    Casper is just a big hunk of deliciousness. He found it hard, but he was so pleased with himself at the end, lovely :)
    And Benson - hehe, I just love how he can't help but look at the bowl. It's so tempting. Great use of pace there from Marcus to keep his mind on the job in hand.

18. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Lovely videos @Beanwood. Bramble is such a good girl, you can really see that she looks to you both for every cue (unless there are loose chickens around of course ;)).

Benson reminds me of Ella. Pretty committed to the task at hand but that food is still very tempting :rolleyes:

And Casper, the forum mascot :), just look at him! I love how he seriously contemplates whether to go with Marcus or have a snack :D. You're right though, just watch that tail go crazy when he's 'got it right' :)

19. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

How lovely to have an OH who is interested in training the dogs and how happy the dogs looked. Caspar is adorable, he tried so hard and succeeded :D

20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Great job @Beanwood pack, Marcus does a great job :) I am really enjoying watching these videos and the different methods of ignoring the FOOD, it's tough but all these dogs are doing brilliantly. Thanks for inspiring me :) xx