Jumping and mouthing

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Mollly, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I know there is a vast pool of knowledge on the The Labrador Site gained by decades of Labrador ownership. I hope you can point me in the right direction on several topics that I think probably cause worry to many Labrador Puppy owners.

I think It would be helpful if I gave you some info on us. Molly is a 16 week old lady. I'm a 66 year old lady. I'm 5 feet 2 inches tall and weigh about 120 lbs. So as you can see dealing with a 28 lb dog is already a challenge for me and she isn't going to get any smaller. I live in the country, (actually right in the middle of Midsomer Murder land) but we are surrounded by farmland. Townies probably think this sounds idyllic, but farmers are not enthusiastic about dogs on their land. .

Firstly. Good old jumping up. I've tried ignoring. Yelling "Down". Done the Clicker as on the Net. Nothing works. From comments on The Labrador Site I'm beginning to think that is one of those things that she will grow out of. Is this correct. Are Labradors more jumpy than other breeds. I don't remember this problem with my previous dog, she not a Labrador and much smaller. You certainly notice 28lbs of muscle when it rears up.

Those teeth. She won't stop munching on me. I cannot call it biting, because there is no malice in it. She clearly isn't trying to hurt me as I have no doubt that she could inflict considerable damage with those powerful jaws. I've done the "ouch" and taken myself away, but she doesn't seem to get the message. It seems as if she cannot help herself. I am really fed up with it. She is a smart little cookie and is learning fast, why she cannot get the message that I don't like being nibbled is beyond me. Is this something that she will grow out of?

My attempts to train her out of these behaviours are not being crowned with success.

As I said before I'm a little old lady and not getting any younger, and Molly is healthy young dog and not getting any smaller. I am obviously training her to walk nicely, but for safety's sake I need some control of her for the time being. I am currently using a back fastening harness, but it is a wrestling match to get her into it. I would welcome any suggestions about Halti's, Gentle Leaders, harnesses etc. I had her on a house line today as my young granddaughter visited. I really couldn't control Molly with a conventional lead.

Finally. What is the best way to transport a dog by car. I usually leave any dog at home when I go out. They are well cared for and well exercised, so they are usually quite happy to settle down and it for my return. Currently we are taking her to puppy classes. Hubby drives and Molly and I indulge in a wrestling match on the back seat. Obviously I don't want to spend a massive amount on something I will rarely use after her classes have finished, but I do need a convenient and safe way to transport her.

Thanks for your input. I hope that in the future I will be able to make a useful contribution to the site.

2. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Re: Jumping and mouthing

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/no-more-jumping-up/

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/labrador-puppies-biting/

Hi Tina,

The links to the two articles above on the main site will give you some info on the jumping up and biting... The first and most important thing to say is that yes, she really will grow out of it! I know it can seem as if you are forever offering her one of her toys in preference to your arm, but it will pass. Just be careful that you aren't accidentally making your 'No!' exciting - it's very easy for us to add what we take to be a stern gesture to our disapproval, but to her, that pointing finger is an invitation to jump up and catch it! The worst times for trying to munch and chew always seemed to be when my pup was getting tired - if you can, this is a good time to pop her in her bed / crate. I used to find that an over-excited pup was asleep within a minute when given that chance to settle.

When my pup was smaller and still in a small crate overnight, I popped that into the car when we were off out somewhere. I put it on the back seat, on the passenger side, so I could turn and see into it easily. I also found that by putting the front passenger seat back as far as it could go, the crate was very firmly held in place and was not going to slip or slide anywhere! Dogs travelling safely in cars is a tricky subject and I do understand that the amount you want to spend will depend on how often you will be taking her in the car. I also have a fairly cheap car harness that came from a local pet shop, which I can use to keep her anchored to a seat if there is no boot space. I have two dogs, and sometimes they have the boot... but because I also regularly need the luggage space, they do not have a purpose built dog car crate in the boot... I can fit her overnight crate in the boot now if needs be. It's a compromise, but I don't have them wandering free around the car.

Good luck with finding a travel solution that suits you; the puppy biting really will stop... Brew is five months now, and has her adult teeth - she LOVES chewing, but fortunately only her chew toys these days!
    Clare

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi Tina,

The jumping will take time, it is work in progress with me. When Harley jumps up I say a firm 'down' and turn slightly to the side which usually stops her jumping up.

As for the biting, try giving her an alternative toy or something she is allowed to chew. Generally they do grow out of it soon.

In the car I brought a car harness (which can also be used for walking) from pets at home. It cost me about £15 and is perfect for strapping them in for short journeys.

When walking Harley, I have a bag of treats in my hand and every 30 steps without pulling...I.e. At my side, she gets a treat. We started at 5 steps and have worked up. I do sometimes have to go back to 5 steps and treat to reinforce her walking nicely. I also say 'walk nicely Harley' every few minutes.

I'm only 5ft 2in as well, am 38, and have spinal injuries. Pups learn quickly and I am sure with patience you will get there.

Good luck. Feel free to ask any others questions.

Ternaya and Harley (5 months old)

4. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Thanks. You confirmed what I thought, that the jumping up and munching are things are things that she just cannot control. She will grow out of it. I will continue with my "No", "Down" etc, if you don't tell them what you want how are they expected to learn

Karen hit the nail on the head. She is just like a toddler. When she gets tired she gets hyperactive and silly and that is when I pop her in her crate. I had 3 kids, I know the signs.

How do you retain your sanity and train a puppy without a crate!

5. Missy33

Missy33 Registered Users

Hi Molly, welcome to the forums. I read something lately that changed my whole view on dog training. It said that one must always bear in mind, that as humans we have our puppies/dogs, but we also have our friends, our family, our computers and tv, the phone for a chat etc. Our puppies only have us. All of their attention is based on us.
    While I'm sure that Molly will settle with age, it helps your sanity slightly and allows us to understand why the concentrated nibbling and jumping for attention!
    Naya mentioned a harness for the car if you don't want to use a crate. They're a great investment and with a bit of fettling you can pop Molly in the boot and harness her in safely, perhaps on a blanket. I do think that if you're sitting with them in the car it becomes a game and encourages them not to settle. Good luck!

6. osca

osca Registered Users

Welcome to the site :).
    I can completely relate to your situation as can everyone else on this site, we have all been there - my seven month lab Oscar is jump as wild haha ;D.
    The best thing you can do is buy Pippa Mattinsons book Total Recall it is a complete god sent honestly. I am currently reading it and since i have strated doing so i have approached Oscars training so much better.
    As for the travelling with molly in the car with oscar we tend to have someone in the back with him but he has learned to sit back there in his own if he say to, basically over time and ignoring him when he cried (harsh i know but it works) he learned to just lie down. BUt by having someone back there with him he just lies down on there lap, until we have arrived. :)
    Good luck you will get there :)