Jumping up biting 11 week puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by emilydillon, May 20, 2015.

1. emilydillon

emilydillon Registered Users

Hi I have a yellow 11 week old male lab who is learning to sit and walk and take treats nicely in many ways doing very well. . He seems to want to chew my arms (nasty nip today tore the skin) and my clothing. I have tried giving him a chew instead or distracting him but he is not always interested in the chew and just carries on trying to bite me! I put him in his crate to calm down which is often. He seems to get over excited every time I give him any attention. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Not exactly advice, but consolation - it will soon pass! My Molly was an awful biter, much worse than I remembered my previous Lab being, and squealing just seemed to make her more excited. I was bleeding daily! I remember shoving soft toys in her mouth and sometimes walking away, but really I think I just survived till she grew out of it - by around 14 - 16 weeks old I think. She's wonderfully gentle now at 20 months. Hang in there!

3. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

The "crocopup" stage is something many, many forum members have survived. You are not alone! It's their way of learning about the world, through their teeth! They think it's all a great game and don't understand why you don't think it fun. Lots of patience, turning away when he tries it, substituting toys, and brief time outs will help, but as Joy says, it's a stage to be endured. This article from the main site is helpful:

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/labrador-puppies-biting/

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum . Using techniques such as standing up, crossing your arms and ignoring them can sometimes help. Timeouts are also a good way, only for short bursts though

5. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Morning emilydillon

I'v just gone threw worst crocopup stage in fact still am but It loads better :) the only way Ziva who is 13 weeks would stop if I took my hands away and folded them redirect with toy if she did nip to hard I got up straight away and went through kitchen and closed door for 60 sec and then opend and either called her to continue play or now she is actually trying to run to door to come find me .I use ah,ah word when I feel her little pin teeth on me but don't move my arms now as it made it worse cause she was turning it into a game . and she now after very persistence week has hardly mouthed hard on me

I use a gentle voice cause screaming raising voice just made her loads worse she got a kick out of it I'm sure

Happy puppy time s :)

Marie & Ziva

6. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

You have a normal Labrador puppy It comes as a shock when these famously gentle, good natured creatures turn out to be biting machines when puppies.

You are doing all the right things.

They grow out of it between 4 and 5 months

7. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

Tess is about 4.5 months and it feels as though we're coming out of the crocopup stage finally (although she's teething now ...). More and more we can have her in the room with the whole family, including children, without her trying to bite us all the time. I found that taking a very loud and exaggerated sharp intake of breath and looking appalled had more effect on Tess than squealing!

8. iluvpizza

iluvpizza Registered Users

What worked best for us was a loud ouch when she bit and a 20 secs time out in the kitchen on her own with the door closed. Consistency across all family members I think is key. He will grow out of it!