Jumping up the back of my legs

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Caro A, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Caro A

Caro A Registered Users

hi, our 12 week pup is out and about now, she's doing really well. But when I walk her on the lead she is constantly jumping up the back of my legs as I walk. How do I stop this behaviour before it becomes a habit. She's only young but can I start getting her to walk to heel nicely yet? And stop pulling and this constant jumping at my back? Thanks

2. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Hi @Caro A your pup looks super cute. From my own very limited experience and from what I have read 12 weeks is quite young to be walking on leash. They really can't go for long walks at this age. I remember us playing with Harley off leash mostly until she was a bit older. I know someone with experience will be along to advise.
    What is her name? She really is adorable.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Yes, you can definitely start encouraging a walk at heel from the very start; in fact it’s a good idea to do just that! Keep rewarding her for being in that position, both on lead and off lead, and she’ll get the idea that it’s a great place to be.
    I agree she shouldn’t be doing too much on lead at this age, just a few minutes here and there, but you can definitely start the practice right now.

4. Caro A

Caro A Registered Users

Thank you so much for your help. I will do a few minutes just encouraging her to be in that position. How do you think I might stop her jumping up my back? I'm getting soaked ha ha

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Well, she’s young and a bouncy Lab, so some if that goes along with the territory :D
    You can work on rewarding calmness, but giving her other training games to play will keep her attention and stop her playing the fool.
    The “magic hand” game will kill two birds with one stone. https://positively.com/contributors...ion-zero-pressure-control-with-1-simple-game/

Don’t worry if she’s rubbish at catching to start with; this is a skill that needs to be learnt like everything else :)

6. Caro A

Caro A Registered Users

Oh wow thanks for this, really appreciate your help. I will get on with this magic hand excercise.
    A few weeks ago I posted a thread about my "Bonkers puppy", and now just 3 weeks later it's funny how quickly things have moved on, I'm now facing different hurdles, but she's adorable, and there's lots of promise in this little pup, she's still bonkers, nipping, going crazy sometimes, but things are better, she's exhausting, but in a good way, I'm no longer in "meltdown mode". I want to focus on getting some training right from the start.

selina27, SwampDonkey and snowbunny like this.