Jumping up when I click

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by snowbunny, Oct 12, 2014.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I'm working with Willow on a sit/stay at the moment. She's doing very well, but sometimes she starts jumping up when I click. I've obviously already marked the good behaviour so she gets her treat, so I'm not sure how to discourage the behaviour. At other times, she sits beautifully through repeated click & treats for an extended sit. Is it just a case of early days, or is there any advice to stop her doing this?

Outside of sit training, I'm trying to discourage jumping up by rewarding her when her feet are on the ground.

On another note, do you carry your clicker with you at all times when you're with your pup to mark any good behaviour, or use it only when you're specifically seeking that behaviour (ie in training sessions)?

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Jumping up when I click

Fiona....im not hugely experienced but the click marks the end of the behaviour so as long as she has given you a sit and is sitting down when you click I don't think it's the end of the world if she gets up to get her treat.....she's only so little ,she is doing very well ( you are too ;D)
    'Paws on the floor' is a great habit to get into too ;D
    Re the Clicker ,For me,it's depended on what I'm really working on with Dexter....there's been periods where I've really wanted to capture every opportunity eg look at me,walking to heel ,stop whistle training ( whistle is constantly with me too at the mo for that!) I always have it on walks with me currently too as I'm working on Dexters reactivity on the lead....now I'm writing this and thinking about it I'd have to say that yes,actually ,I probably do have it with me most of the time ... ;D

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Most people work on "the click ends the behaviour" because this is the single most convenient thing to have your dog do - a great many clicker exercises are done in rapid repetitions so you want the dog to move on the click.

But dogs are perfectly capable of learning to maintain the behaviour through the click and for some exercises you need them to do so. My dog can even distinguish between when I want him to maintain the same beheviour through the click or end that behaviour. I can even get - in very limited circumstances - a different behaviour on the click before treat.

The way you train this is all about treat delivery. You need to always be consistent about what you do. If you want your dog to maintain the behaviour through the click, feed the treat where he is - so in a sit-stay walk to him to feed the treat. If you want the click to mean end the behaviour, throw the treat (always throw it in the same place for the duration of the exercise) or have the dog come to you to collect the treat. After the first rep, my dog knows whether we are working to maintaining through the click, or ending on the click depending on how he gets his treat.

If that sounds too difficult for now, and you want to choose one, the best single behaviour to have is ending on the click, so you should be tossing Willow's treat and she should get up on the click.

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

If you are going to use the 'click doesn't end the behaviour' approach then it is important that you teach a release cue, which means 'the behaviour is over now and you can move or do what you like'. Teach a release like you would any behaviour:
    Ask your dog to do something (like sit)
    Say your chosen release cue (''release'')
    Make a move towards the dog to prompt them to move (thereby getting the behaviour you want)
    Immediately click and treat the movement (thereby rewarding the behaviour you want) :)

5. Jen

Jen Registered Users

If you go on the kikopup channel on YouTube there are two videos for clicker training the sit/stay. She shows how to train a release command.

I used them to train my two to stay and then to wait (just changed the cue word and released from a distance rather than next to them) surprisingly quickly. ;D

6. snowbunny

I've been using Kikopup for the sit/stay and using "Free" as a release word. She hasn't yet learnt what it means. She can be quite insistent on sitting there once she has it in her head that that gets her treats. I'll work on the release over the next few days. Thanks for all the advice. She is such a delight to teach and I'm learning so much, too. You're right I have to remember she's still very young. I don't want a robotic dog, so I love her joyfulness; I just need to make sure I get the balance of allowing her to be a puppy and not enforcing behaviours that are a problem later on! There's a big learning curve here for me :)

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Think of it as paying for a "unit" of behaviour. Sometimes you want the dog to start the next unit from where he is, sometimes from somewhere else.

It's quite handy to start your clicker training exercises with "ready?" And end with "finish". This stops the dog hanging round trying to get treats, particularly when you've been shaping.

I've never met a robotic dog - just well trained dogs. I've met lots of untrained dogs that are definitely not robotic. :)

8. snowbunny

Haha! I have, sadly met the odd robot, but I believe they were "trained" with harsh methods. I'm definitely not one of those so I love all the positive reinforcement methods.

I always finish with a chirpy "We're done!" and a good cuddle. She's getting used to that meaning there's no more treats.