Jumping

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Mary Lily, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Mary Lily

Mary Lily Registered Users

I need some tricks and ideas that you have used to stop your puppy from jumping on people. I've tried turning my back to her, not making eye contact, using the "down" command....nothing seems to work. I especially do not want her jumping on family and friends that come to my home. She's a very active 3 month old chocolate.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

She's only twelve weeks old and it's very reinforcing for her to jump up. The most effective way is to ignore her, turn your back on her and give her lots of praise when she has her feet on the floor (which may rile her up again, so you have to repeat the process, but that's fine, because it's another learning opportunity for her). It won't work overnight, so don't expect it to. You may have to work on this for a couple of months before she gets the idea. Consistency over time is the key.

When you have people over, I would put her away in her pen until they are in the door and settled. This will take some of the excitement out of the situation for her, and gives you one less thing to manage as you greet your guests.

There's no point using a "down" cue unless you've trained it, and proofed it against this level of arousal, which wouldn't be possible for such a young puppy. You may as well be saying "turnip" to her :D

Mary Lily likes this.
  3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh my word, this is a hard one. My Tatze, four years old, still jumps up from time to time.

Yes, I would use the pen or lead when people come round.

:)