Just a little rant

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Maddison, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Maddison

Maddison Registered Users

I'm posting this so hopefully I can look back at it in a few months and see how far we've come. In the mean time.

I'm SO TIRED of having puppy teeth sized holes in all of my clothes.

I'm tired of constantly repeating "Larks off" or "Larks leave it" whenever she gets something she shouldn't have. And her dashing away with whatever it is as soon as she realizes it's not hers.

I'm tired of going on walks that are 20 minutes long where we barely leave the drive because of her pulling.

There. Those are the things driving me crazy. I love this little girl to death but she certainly knows how to get under my skin! So thankful for this forum so I know I'm not alone. :D

IreneM, Maui48, Pilatelover and 3 others like this.
  2. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

I was just looking at a pic last night from when Quinn was 12 weeks...I had cried earlier in the night because she was biting so much and peeing like crazy in the house and I felt trapped at home night after night. I can hardly even remember the feeling...some of my clothes still have the little holes but it's hard to imagine chill in the house Quinn being like that anymore. At 10 months things are so much better - she can go hours between potty breaks, training is more fun, she does not bite (and has been like that for quite awhile). I much prefer the teenager challenges that require training than the tiny puppy problems.

It passes so fast - hang in there!

Pilatelover, Bruer, Naya and 3 others like this.
  3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

*this too will pass*

I promise!

:bone:

Jyssica and Trufflepup like this.
  4. jessieboo

jessieboo Registered Users

Hang on in there. It is so hard. I have had two human babies and it was never this hard. But unlike with human babies, they grow much faster! 11 month old Jessie has grown/been trained out if all the things you talk about above. She still has a host of other problems, but we are getting there with these too! She has come so far. I'm actually starting to really enjoy her now. The training is also now MUCH easier as she can and will concentrate more (sometimes:rolleyes:).

Naya and Trufflepup like this.
  5. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Oh,my.....you remind me of where I was two years ago......I was ready to give Cooper away to the first person that walked down my street! Luckily, almost 99% DRIVE rather than walk over here!! Yes, it does go away and I have kept some of the clothing that wasn't ripped to bits in the biting stage just as a reminder. Actually, I have a sweat shirt on right now that has holes in it! No more biting, and no more chewing on furniture (thank goodness). But he did destroy HIS sofa....ripped it to bits....have a cover on it that I am not too proud of, either! He also "steals" dish towels, slippers, PJ's, shoes,towels.....if he can. I make darn sure that everything is out of reach but there are times I forget and.....you guessed it......he runs off with it. But he does give it up when asked to.....before he would have ripped it all to pieces in a minute.
    So, hang in there....I know that sounds so hard to do but we all had to go through it and we all know it does end. Not the stealing though....at least in my case.

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Can completely understand that it gets frustrating! Having just done 4 months of new puppy stuff myself....

Not working then, is it? :D You have to manage a puppy. I never bother telling my puppy to 'leave it' outside a training session, and she is six months now. All I'll do is ruin my cue. Betsy isn't as terrible as Charlie - mainly because the very first thing I trained was to head towards me with anything she picked up - but there is a lot to be said for making a room 'puppy safe' before the little darlings get any freedom in it whatsoever. :)

My puppy safe routine is: everything picked up, barriers to block off the wires behind the TV, study door closed, door to the kitchen closed, baby gate on stairs, log basket on top of the TV...and so on. Then, Betsy gets freedom, I get to relax. :)

snowbunny likes this.
  7. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

I love this thread and thank god I have this forum! I'm positive I would have brought Corona back to the breeder after the first week of cuddles and long naps came to a complete stop, only to be replaced by constant biting and never ending supervision. Just tonight, I broke down in tears with my husband who just doesn't seem to get it. I'm with her all day from 6:45am until bedtime, and even then, she isn't sleeping thru the night yet. Her biting is way better with me, but she is relentless with my 17 year old daughter, who just wants to love her up, and ends up in tears. I feel like I have absolutely given up all of my freedom and desperately want it back, but then, it's way too late for that, because she's already stolen a piece of my heart. She sure is the sweetest thing when she is sleeping. Putting her in daycare once a week, for the last 2 weeks has helped immensely and obedience training starts next week. I lay in bed every night and try to remember all the things that I am grateful for, all the things we have achieved already. For one, she is very consistent with going to the door and she has picked up all training very quickly. My days seem VERY long most days, but the image of a settled companion is what will get me through. You are not alone, hang in there!!

snowbunny, Trufflepup and Dexter like this.
  8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

A much used quote on the Forum :rofl: x

Pilatelover, snowbunny, Bruer and 2 others like this.
  9. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Don't worry it will soon be OK and you will be saying... Do you remember when she/he did that.

Trufflepup likes this.
  10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Currently looking after a 16 week old pup.
    Little sharp teeth.....
    Evening zoomies/wall of death....
    Wiping up pee and odd poop...... (admittedly, that's Sophie's job)

Happy with my sensible 6.5 year old. Would I get another puppy again? Hmmmmm.......:hmm:

bbrown, snowbunny and Bruer like this.
  11. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

This is so true, it has been the same for me , wondering what I had done to my self, my early twenty something youngsters independent and I get a puppy and lose all that freedom! But now, you know what, it has to be something REALLY special for me to leave her behind!
    Cassie will be next 6 months next week and I can't believe the change in her in the last few days. As I write this she is happily chewing a toy in front of the woodburner while I sit in easy chair with a cup of tea - time was I thought this would never happen.
    I was told it takes 2 years to get the dog you want, so plenty to do yet and we are not out of the woods yet I know, but I enjoy her much more now and her character is really developing.

Karen likes this.
  12. Boogie

I can't get enough of them! Can't wait for the next one :tail:

bbrown and snowbunny like this.
  13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

counting the seconds? :D:p

snowbunny likes this.
  14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

You are quite nuts. I am now very glad Betsy is 6 months old and is less annoying than she was. I'm looking forward to her growing up some more! All this 'ah the puppy stage passes so quickly....' stuff - all I can say is thank goodness for that!

Peeing, pooing, biting, chewing, having the concentration span of a fruit fly while training....give me an adult dog any day! :D

ohthatcat, bbrown, Trufflepup and 5 others like this.
  15. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

haha! I completely agree! They may be adorable as puppies, but give me a settled older dog any day!

16. Maui48

Maui48 Registered Users

We are new puppy owners... we have a black male lab is 4 mo. I never knew it would be so hard I feel like I'm failing him.... I'm a stay home mom with an 9 yr old at school and a 4 yr home .... we walk him everyday and play outside in the yard... I even do puppy socials at petco 2-3x week.... he's jumping on everything, starting to bark a lot..... I feel like we have. O " downtime" at All..... I just joined this forum and I hope I'm. It judged... I love him and we as a family just want a good, nice loyal dog.

17. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Welcome Maui to the forum. What is the name of your puppy? He sounds like a normal Lab puppy to me :) Do you have a dog crate so you can have time out for him?

18. Joy

Joy Registered Users

@Maui48 - bear up! Things will improve! Can you remember what hard work your children were as new-borns, well your puppy is the same. You can see from comments on here that most of us have found puppies exhausting - but you eventually get a lovely adult dog.

It sounds as though you are taking good care of your puppy. Have a look at the kikopup videos on YouTube for training ( kind methods and broken down into small steps.)

Perhaps you could use a crate or pen to give you and your younger child a break from the puppy sometimes. I've never used a crate because I live in a tiny house but when my son was small we had a cocker spaniel puppy and I used stair gates in doorways to give each their own space for short periods.

It will get better!

Maui48 and Cath like this.
  19. Boogie

Trufflepup likes this.
  20. Boogie

I keep wanting to put the puppy pen up just to 'practice'. Part of it is anticipation of who will arrive, not knowing either breed, gender or colour. I have told my supervisor 'just bring me a pup, any pup!'

I love Bruce and he's still very puppyish at 11 months, but I'm impatient for the new baby.

Yes!!

:p:rolleyes::p