Just a little warning about collars

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, Jul 16, 2013.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sam and Millie tend to wear their collars all the time but after last night , I will take collars off when we are at home .
    They have got into the habit of having a lovely play in the garden at around 7 when its cool and last night, when they came in to settle down , Sam didnt have his collar on . We were fairly sure that he had it on when we came back from our walk , so searched the garden and couldnt find it anywhere . This morning I had another look and found it, not a mark on it, it was in the shrubs at the bottom of the garden . This is a rope type collar with a small leather part where the buckle is and thankfully it is quite a lose fit so obviously in their rough play , Millie had managed to remove it ::)
    It then struck me that it could potentially be dangerous to let them play, out of sight whilst wearing collars, if this one had been a tighter fit, it could have been a different outcome , collars off in the porch from now on ::)

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Just a little warning about collars

Good move!! you hear terrible stories of dogs getting hurt and even dying due to getting stuck in each others collars :(

Collars off here too when there are doggie guests. I keep meaning to change to a collar with a clip that can be released under pressure rather than a buckle too but haven't quite managed it.

3. debsie

debsie Registered Users

I think I remember Helen telling us a scary story about collars and play too...my two generally don't wear their collars indoors anymore, they do like to pull each other about by them when they are playing sometimes, so thats put a stop to that game!

4. David

David Registered Users

I'm a bit paranoid about Lady getting her collar caught so I only put it on when she is on the lead in the street.

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Debsie I did have a scary incident with collars and since then Hattie & Charlie NEVER wear their collars inside. Helen xx

6. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I`ve just remembered that Helen , collars off here too now x

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It's a good warning - we'll heed it here too! Thanks :)

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Sadly no unsupervised play happening in our neighbourhood......but will take heed for when normal service resumes,thanks

9. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

It's a tough one for me. Barney is a bit of an escape artist and I'd rather he was found with his collar and tag than rely on a chip which can't be read by a helpful passer by. My compromise is that I have it loose so it will come off over his head if he gets caught up on something.

10. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

we always take jaspers off as soon as we come in for a walk, ......remember reading about a dog that strangled him self with his collar :(