Just a rant

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by 20180815, Mar 7, 2017.

1. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Moved recently and it seems so many people do not pick up after their dogs here. It makes it really unpleasant to walk. Just on a 5 minute walk to the post box, I counted 4 piles on the pavement. It seems to be like this all over this neighbourhood. When I took him out into the country to the reservoir, so many there as well. Is this usual all over the UK or did I just move to a bad place? There is also a lot of general rubbish in the streets, gardens, outside shops etc.

2. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

People don't pick up after their dogs here either. It makes me so cross. Recently a guy got fined for not picking up after his dog but it doesn't seem to make any difference. As for the rubbish littering the countryside it's appalling. OH and I commented at the weekend how dirty Britain has become. I'm so ashamed I live right on the edge of some stunning countryside and it's spoilt. :mad:

3. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

Where about have you moved too? Just out of curiosity

My neighborhood is TERRIBLE for it, but also the council don't put bins in enough locations it really irritates me. I cant enjoy a walk in the park without wearing the right footwear for worrying of stepping in someone elses mess. I ALMOST, pulled my car over yesterday to confront someone who wasn't picking up after their dog, But I didnt feel safe enough to do so.

4. 20180815

20180815 Guest

I'm in Yorkshire. The countryside is STUNNING, but then you get out of the car and oh...dog waste. Oh, litter...I was really quite shocked.

5. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hi, I am in Yorkshire too. Generally we are litter free....dog poo however is a nationwide issue I think Emma and Meg...

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I live near the Malvern Hills Worcs and rarely see dog poo where I walk in the countryside and commons. We have been well trained here :)

charlie and 20180815 like this.
  7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We aren't tooooo bad on the whole.
    What IS annoying is people who pick up then leave their bags - particularly the ones hanging on trees.
    Some areas are much worse than others though

charlie likes this.
  8. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Yes! Why bother picking it up? This one drives me nuts!

9. MF

MF Registered Users

A global problem -- we have it here in Cape Town, too. A friend who does this said she has forgotten to pick up her bag on the way back -- might be the reason why we see those bags. And our pavements, they're paved in poo.

When I pick up Snowie's poo, I always look around for another poo to pick up in the same bag. It drives me insane all the poo left lying around. What I don't understand is this: those people who don't pick up, don't they get annoyed by the poo, too?

My evening off-leash walk is on a beautiful, scenic path. It has become very popular. And the poo has increased in volumes! Become very stinky. I have, on two occasions, taken a plastic shopping bag and filled it -- very heavy to carry back to my car, not to mention the stink! And I had to put it in my car boot to take it to a bin! :confused: But I gave up doing this pretty fast because it's just a matter of days before all the poo returns. Why can't people at least take a stick and swipe the poo off the path?

10. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

We have pretty hefty fines when it comes to not picking up after your dog. They also supply dog bags on every walking trail. Not residential streets, but main parks, all dog parks, walking trails in the bush. Since bags have been supplied I have noticed it's been better. I even have a tiny park across the street from my house for kids to play and they have dog bags there.

I always bring my own bags with me anyways but it's nice when you're in a pinch, it's happened to me once before!

drjs@5 and Jes72 like this.
  11. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

You don't want to know how filthy "clean green NZ" is, it's incredibly disheartening. It's not so much dog poo (although that's an issue) but rubbish and water pollution - toxic algal bloom in rivers, and an increasing amount of rivers, beaches, harbours, and lakes that are unsafe for swimming.

12. Neil

Neil Registered Users

For UK peeps. Report it to the local Council. I live in one of the old mining villages inYorkshire, I reported it on line to the Council (Wakefield) explaining the issue and to be fair within a couple of days they had been out and put numerous 'pick it up' stenciled in yellow markings on the pavements. We also had flyers posted through neighbourhood letter box advising to pick up or face a fine. This has made a big difference I rarely see any dog mess on the various routes we take now.

selina27 likes this.
  13. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Thanks Neil for the suggestion, I've just now complained so I hope we see a difference as well.

14. 20180815

20180815 Guest

I had no idea!

15. 20180815

20180815 Guest

I've not seen any dog bags provided around here. I suggested to the council to provide them, so I do hope they listen!

16. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Well you're a better person than I...I'll pick up my own dog's but foreign dog's...no way lol

I agree, I don't understand how other people don't get annoyed by it...

17. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Oh yes, like horrible Christmas decorations.

MF likes this.
  18. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

@SilverFalcon, I so agree, I have mistakenly picked up another dog's poo and there is nothing as terrible as 'COLD' poo :eek:

Emily, Lin, Granca and 2 others like this.
  19. Cath

Cath Registered Users

We are very lucky I don't see any dog poo where we walk. People are very good and pick up after their dogs, but we are a small village and in a National Trust area.

20. Naya

Naya Registered Users

In some of the places I walk bags are supplied but a lot of people still don't bother picking their dogs poo up :mad:. It's horrible!