Just ordered a dog towelling coat

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by David, Nov 20, 2013.

1. David

David Registered Users

Now that I am carless (see thread "Sulking") I realise that the replacement will not be with me until after the weekend and we (Lady and I) are on the shoot on Saturday. She'll have to be in the barn with me at lunchtime and I'm worried she'll get chilled if she's soaking wet like last time out, so I've just ordered a towelling dog coat to wrap her up in at lunchtime. ;D

Labs are pretty waterproof and don't seem to feel the cold, but having the coat stops me worrying anyway. Got it from Dogs and Co as it was available in time for Saturday. Do you guys bother with dog coats?

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Just ordered a dog towelling coat

I don't generally worry because we walk and/or train and then come home at the moment. I keep a towel in the car to take the worst of the wet off. I think I would if he was going to be out shooting all day though and had long periods of waiting or traveling when wet. I know lots of spaniel people have coats but they're considerably less waterproof than labs.

Pictures of Lady in her shooting attire please :)

3. David

David Registered Users

As soon as it arrives and before it's mud coloured. Only going to use it at lunchtime when she's sitting still for a long time in a drafty old barn. After that we'll see if it's a good alternative to towelling her off after walks. Getting it on may be a bit of a mission if measuring the length of her back from collar to tail was anything to go by. ::)

4. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

Charlie had coats when she was younger, she shivered a lot, and it helped. She does have a coat for winter, if needed. But we don't do shoots or anything like Lady and yourself.

5. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I love my coats for the labradors. The don't wear them outside but I put them on either when we get back to the car or when we come home soaking wet if on foot- the house stays so much cleaner (no muddy spray marks up the walls from the ritual shaking as soon as they get in the house) and they like to snuggle in them when its been cold and wet outside. They have hotterdog fleeces - easy to wash and dry as well for the inevitable "wet dog mixed with fox poo" smell they develop.....

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

O wow! Great. I've been dying to get Charlie some clothes - but know it'd be frowned on. Now I know serious people like David's and Lochan's dogs have clothes I'm away! I'm hitting the shops...now...not too much sparkly bits for post the next gundog lesson though...

7. David

David Registered Users

Oh no - can't be taken seriously. Me paddling around in sea of murk wondering what's right and what's wrong! ;D

8. debsie

debsie Registered Users

love the Hotterdog fleeces too.....mine wear them like Lochan's, only when they come home wet and muddy. Brodick loves his, Cuillin hates hers :D. She's not keen on having anything put round her, harnesses are a drama, and even the sofy cosy Hotterdog fleece results in her standing stock still looking devastated...she look so cute in it though, like a little dog wizard (hers is long for her body, she's just dinky sized, and black). Brods looks like a handsome racehorse in his (red)...

9. bbrown

[quote author=debsie link=topic=3359.msg36546#msg36546 date=1384952187]
    she look so cute in it though, like a little dog wizard (hers is long for her body, she's just dinky sized, and black). Brods looks like a handsome racehorse in his (red)...
    [/quote]

ah little dog wizard how adorable...J K Rowling's next book?

maybe she's just cross cos Brods looks so glam in his ;D

10. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I got a water proof coat with a removable fleece lining for my old lab when he was 14 and looked like he was feeling the cold in winter because he didn't run about much.

I put it on him and he stood looking at me like I'd gone mad and refused to move until I took it off. I gave up. ::)

I recently got an easidri towel for my two. It's a bit like a chamois leather. It comes in a plastic tube which you keep it in damp! ???

It's the strangest thing drying something with a wet towel but it really works. You know when you've dried a dog it shakes and is then just as wet again? That doesnt happen with this it takes all the wet away. You then rinse it, wring it out and put it back in the tube for next time. No smelly damp towels hanging about and convenient for the car. :D

11. bbrown

I've seen some people using them, very interesting!! Might look into that so my car smells slightly less of wet lab. I do find I have to apologise for the smell sometimes ::)

12. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=3359.msg36562#msg36562 date=1384958605]
    I've seen some people using them, very interesting!! Might look into that so my car smells slightly less of wet lab. I do find I have to apologise for the smell sometimes ::)
    [/quote]
    Hee hee my 15 yo son will not ask for a lift in the car if he has his friends with him because of the vague but persistent smell of wet lab...yet another way I seem to have found to embarrass him....but then again the subaru is nothing but a mud-plugging mobile kennel anyway really....

13. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

jasper as the hotterdog fleece,.....just to wear after walks, having white furniture can be a pain,.....and the dog hairs well that is another thread,.....i am spending hours and hours hoovering, :)

14. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

I was just thinking of getting Otis a coat when I saw this post, do Pets at home do nice ones ? Apparently the long range weather forecast by the met office is for snow, also I saw on facebook so maybe not so reliable that we are in for a very severe long winter of snow.

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I can recommend the Hotterdog fleeces. They are the same as the more expensive Equafleece but not quite so made to measure. Same manufacturer.
    We chose black so it wasn't so obvious she was wearing clothing ;D ....we DO live in the country ::)

16. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Please can this thread proceed to contain pictures of all your dogs in their winter attire?
    Am excited waiting to see Lady in her toweling peignoir ..... ;D

17. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This is Obi in his Equafleece coat (taken in winter when we were on a weekend away).

[​IMG]

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Can't wait for Charlie's red one to arrive!

19. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh your're a dashing fellow Obi!Keep them coming folks x

20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Aw Obi Blue is so your colour ;D

When David took Charlie out this morning it was 1 degree, a bit cold so Charlie turned and headed for home. I merely suggested a coat for him and David said there is NO way he walking our big burly boy in a 'dog coat', so a long cold winter ;D