KC Good Citizen - Gold

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by UncleBob, Jul 23, 2014.

1. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

OK, one Gold lesson down and I can see that there are some interesting challenges in this part :)

The one that I'd appreciate some input on is the Stop command. I've been told that whistles are not permitted (for recall, stop, or anything else) so do I train a traditional gundog stop to the whistle and then add a verbal Stop command or do I teach it as a separate command? If the latter, what is the best way to go about it?

Thanks.

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: KC Good Citizen - Gold

Do you have a verbal sit command? If so is this just an extension of that?.......

Are you allowed physical signals aswell? I know not everyone uses a raised hand for a stop as there's a chance it gets confused with a "back" but a physical signal may help you bridge any gap between verbal and whistle commands.

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Have you already trained a stop to a whistle or are you starting fresh? If starting fresh, I guess you train it with a verbal command instead of a whistle but everything else the same. If you are changing from a whistle there's a really long thread somewhere about the pros and cons of new cue before or after old cue (will dig it out if useful).

4. Merla

Merla Registered Users

Mmm, that's interesting. Where does it say 'no whistles' ? I only ask, as at our club, I was explaining that we already did stop whistle, and our trainer thought it was fine to do sit to a whistle and hand signal (although the obedience purists go for a 'down' to a voice command) I looked on the sheet again and can't see anything about it at all, either way. To be honest though, I think the hand signal is much more powerful than the audible command regardless, and it's no problem to train it to a verbal 'stop' if that's required.

Ermm, by the way, they seem to do it on the recall, and basically if you have a dog who's normally fast you can cheat by doing a watered down version of the recall signal only if you're going to do a stop so the dog gets to know the difference and trots cautiously in rather than charging full tilt ;) (Works for me!!) I know it's not really in the spirit of the thing, but we have to consider the different challenges of our individual dogs!!

By the way, I'm still at the practising stage too, haven't actually passed the gold, so feel free to ignore ;D ;D

5. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

Uncle bob i was told that i could use a whistle if i done gold with puzzle. Its says in the KCGCDS rules that you can use a whistle.

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I wonder if different clubs just do things differently? No two trainers train the same, that's for sure...

7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I was allowed to use the whistle for stop!

8. UncleBob

Thanks all for the feedback.

Barbara:
    Yes we have a verbal Sit command and a hand signal to accompany it. I had planned to use a hand signal for Stop too.

Julie:
    No, we are just at the stage where we're thinking about the Stop whistle. We've only recently started training with a gundog trainer (Helen Phillips) in addition to the obedience trainer and are taking things as they come.

And I think you are probably right about the different approaches taken by different clubs.

Merla:
    I don't know where it says 'no whistles'. I haven't seen anything on the KC website. The information came from the trainer - perhaps I misunderstood and it is her personal preference rather than a KC requirement. :-\ I am planning to use a hand signal to supplement whatever audible cue is given.

You are absolutely right, it is done on the recall (not ideal, in my view, as I don't want to 'break' the recall I've worked so hard to develop but I suppose as long as we don't overtrain the Stop it should be OK). I think you are right about going for a less enthusiastic recall so that we don't get a ' going Mach 2 with your hair on fire' type recall which is Harv's normal speed! ;)

What you say makes a great deal of sense so no ignoring going on ;)

Annabelle:
    That's good to know regarding the whistle. I can see that I may need to do a little probing on this at the next session.

Stacia:
    Thanks for the feedback regarding whistle usage. Good to know.

9. UncleBob

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Very interesting.

No clickers, toys, food, slip leads, harnesses, headcollars (but subject to the examiner being satisfied the dog could perform without them), muzzles, anti-bark collars, prong collars or electric shock collars.

Whistles allowed though. :)