KCGC Foundation Puppy award

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by suze12, Oct 14, 2014.

1. suze12

suze12 Registered Users

Hi all just after some advice about the above reward. Milo and I are half way through our block of 6 lessons and doing ok on most parts. We haven't done any work in class on one part yet though which is the bit where the puppy gives up an item. On walks if Milo picks up something he shouldn't like wrappers, poo, etc I say leave it and he usually drops whatever it is. Initially I was treating with a bit of kibble but lately I just mostly say the word and he obeys. At home he loves to run after toys like his ball or rope toys and will usually drop them at our feet so we can throw them again. We normally say give and he does. The dropping the toy seems just to be natural behaviour though. For the award does the dog have to be able to give up the item with just verbal encouragement or are treats allowed? Must admit I haven't really taught Milo to "leave" an item in the home except of when he gets hold of a cushion occasionally!Hoping to progress to the Bronze award if we pass this one but wondering if he is too young? He is 6 and a half months now.

2. skooch

skooch Registered Users

Re: KCGC Foundation Puppy award

When we did the foundation a couple of weeks ago you could treat afterwards, or have a treat visible and ready to give, the same for the bronze award.

3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Re: KCGC Foundation Puppy award

Hi there, we have done puppy foundation Meg was about 7 m and we are booked for bronze next month when she will be 9 months. You are not allowed to use any treats during exercises but you can treat afterwards and whilst waiting. From what I have read some assessors are stricter than others. Have a google and read the KC info and there is lots of info on other forums. We passed our puppy foundation easily, bronze however maybe a very different matter. Good luck :)