Keeping 10 month old entertainment with leg injury

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Bertie_lab, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Bertie_lab

Bertie_lab Registered Users

Hi all,

After some advice. We have a VERY active 10 month old who unfortunately has hurt his front leg after chasing his ball today. We took him to the vets straight away, she couldn’t get any real pain reaction out of him when feeling his leg and paws but he limps and holds it up 100% of the time and yelps if he catches it. We’re going back tomorrow for an X-ray.
    I know we’ll have some more answers tomorrow but regardless of what it is we will need to have him on rest for a while which is so much easier said than done.
    He loves playing with a kong stuffed with frozen food but he’s not one to lay nicely with it, he chases it around the kitchen, he loves playing ‘find it’ but he gets excited so runs all over to find it. He is a massive chewer so something like a snuffle mat would just end up getting eaten along with the treats.
    I can teach him a new trick but it would have to be something that doesn’t involved using his front paws as one will be injured and he will be so hyper I’m worried he’ll just get too excited.
    Any advice on how both of us won’t lose our minds. He’s used to 2 x 40 min walks and training throughout the day but is an absolute monster when he’s not been exercised.
    He was crate trained for the first 4 months but he outgrew the crate and he sleeps in the kitchen/dining room and stays in there when we are out the house so we no longer own a crate. Should we get a new one? All the time in a crate seems unfair.

All help welcome!

2. Bertie_lab

Just an update. He has a broken toe, no off lead for a month and very short lead walks from weeks 2-4 ( no walks until then). all ideas welcome on how to entertain his mind without causing any level of excitement :)

3. J.D

J.D Registered Users

We’re you offered any medication to help keep him quiet? Scent training maybe.

4. Bertie_lab

He’s on painkillers but that’s once a day at 5pm, I don’t think it has any kind of sedative in it though... it certainly doesn’t seem to. He’s sleeping ok at night it’s just getting through the day without him causing trouble. We’ve scattered his breakfast around the garden but he gets so excited about it I’m worried he’s going to hurt himself running around sniffing it all out. I’ve read so many useful posts on here with wonderful ideas he just get so over excited about a new game when he hasn’t already tired himself out on a long walk.