Keeping my Lab warm this winter

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Malcolm McAvoy, Nov 17, 2022.

1. Malcolm McAvoy

Malcolm McAvoy Registered Users

Lab owners:

I have a 5 year-old Black Lab named Rocky who lives outside under an elevated playhouse.
    While I can provide him a lot of straw for bedding, the floor space to too large to heat all of it.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend some type of heat lamp that I could mount for cold winter days.

We live in East Tennessee, so usually the upper teens would be considered a real cold wave here.

My Vet has told me that he should be fine, but I am still concerned about him.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Malcolm

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Really, if you have to keep him outside, he needs a purpose made kennel. If not, can you make a smaller box for him to sleep in? Just a towel/vetbed as a door to keep the draughts out and plenty of dry straw? Or better still, invite him into the house with the rest of his family ;)

Edp and CeeCee like this.
  3. Malcolm McAvoy

Malcolm McAvoy Registered Users

Thanks for the suggestions. I am putting a partition in his house to reduce the space and have purchased a Brooding Lamp for heat with a red infrared bulb. Red light is supposed to offer health benefits to both animals and humans. He most assuredly will receive lots of attention this winter and should bask in a warm environment on a daily basis. He is the sweetest dog that I have ever owned. But, after all, he is lab and would eat the furniture if he came inside.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2022 at 10:01 AM
  4. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hi, some good ideas here .If you are worried about chewing you can have him inside safely in a crate too.