Kibble feeders

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Holliesmum, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Holliesmum

Holliesmum Registered Users

Morning......

Here's my daily question? ;D

What kibble do you feed your dogs?

Which is the best one........really?

We are feeding what the breeder used which is gusto puppy but I'm not convinced it's the best for her (not sure why, just a gut feeling)

I don't want to feed raw as I'm a nurse and work shifts which include nights and hubby doesn't like raw meat (fairy)

Thanks
    Esther and Hollie

Xxx

2. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

Re: Kibble feeders

Lemmy on James well beloved puppy food duck and rice. He seems to like it. He tends to get bored of eating after few minutes so I pick up bowl as I don't want him browse feeding. I also use kibble from his daily allowance for training and rewards.so far his tummy is fine in fact he's more solid toilet wise than he was and the dreaded puppy parps have more or less stopped.

3. Holliesmum

We are having a debate.....

Expensive food with no bulking agents and all meat, fish and veg = 130g a day so 43g a meal

Compared to

Gusto food main ingredient a bulking agent and 14% chicken = 345g a day so 115g a meal

Which one will fill her up more?

Thanks x

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Morning Esther,
    The replies you get now are going to put you in a right spin.....we all feed different,there is a huge amount of brands represented on the Forum.
    I haven't heard of Gusto.....I live in Dubai and there is a good enough choice but not as many as the UK.we opted for Royal Canin and after several months of upset tums Dexter settled down on the RC Gastrointestinal...we started on the puppy and then transferred over to the adult......however Ternaya's Harley didn't fare well on it ,it can be tricky finding one that works for you.
    All I would say is if you are considering changing do it very gradually,I've always done it over 2 weeks ,you maybe don't need to be that cautious but I'd reckon don't so it in less than 10 days
    In answer to your second post,I'd always go for quality over quantity.

5. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

Quality every time for me. Way I see it I wouldn't feed a child junk food and expect them to thrive and so only give Lemmy what I believe will give him best start. Of course everyone differs in what they feed and as long as your dog is healthy and loved that's what counts.

6. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

We now feed one which our pet shop gets packaged with their own logo. They have a couple of different ones, both wheat and dairy free, one of them grain free and both high in protein. They are quite close in constitution to James Wellbeloved and others of that quality. Our vets also have a couple of their 'own' brand which are similar.
    Mira loves them (salmon and potato right now), we support the local business and they are much cheaper than the brands, so it is worth having a look around to see if your local shops/vets do something similar. :)

7. Holliesmum

We have been searching and thinking wainwrights? As you can get that in shops, the others are online things

Have delved into gusto and we may as well be giving her cardboard :mad:

Xx

8. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I give Molly James Wellbeloved Turkey and Rice junior. My last dog did very well on JWB Turkey and Rice so in many ways my reasons for doing so are historical.

By now you will have had many conflicting answers. There are lots of very good kibbles out there. I do think it is worth investing in a good quality kibble, you generally need less of it, will have less poop to cope with and I genuinely think that with good quality food you see less of the Vet.

Kibble is very versatile. Molly never has a bowl of food. She either has moistened kibble in a frozen Kong, in active toys, Buster Cube etc and I am lavish with it during training.

9. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I tried Wainwrights but Molly was quite windy on it. I now feed Arden Grange which seems to suit her, though I do also feed leftovers (cooked meat and veg) so feed less kibble.
    In old age my last dog was on Symply brand salmon and potato kibble which seemed good.

10. Petrina

Petrina Registered Users

I was very impressed by my vet, when she said , you feed the dog within your budget, after telling me that beta was at the lower end! We changed to burns when bailey was poorly ! He is thriving in that, we do give more than recommended, but he's lanky and svelte !
    I also rarely feed meal times, kong, training, find it on the patio etc x
    I think there is a myriad of dog foods available,

11. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Skinners Salmon & Rice for Hattie & Charlie too, they are very fit, healthy and happy on it :) xx

13. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have tried many different kinds, currently on Simpsons Salmon and Potato, lovely shiny coat and happy dog.

14. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

We're on skinners too but duck and rice. Riley looks well on it but I wouldn't call him an enthusiastic eater.....and yes he is a lab ::)

15. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley eats Bob and Lush. We put her on this due to her very sensitive tummy

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I use a grain free. For no other reason than I felt grain was just filler and I didn't/couldn't do raw feeding.
    Currently Simpsons 80/20

17. Holliesmum

Jacqui

where do you get the Simpsons from?

It really is a mine field

:eek:

18. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=Holliesmum link=topic=7899.msg111237#msg111237 date=1411163661]
    Jacqui

where do you get the Simpsons from?

It really is a mine field

:eek:
    [/quote]
    Yep. Definitely a minefield.

We get it online. A friend orders it direct. She has 5 dogs, me the one, another friend 2.
    I gain from this as this number constitutes a " pack" so we get breeders rates with free delivery I think.. I pay £44 or so for a 14kg bag.

19. MontysMum

MontysMum Registered Users

Mine was long and lanky on Burns and his poo wasn't thick enough and he was very windy. He also didn't put on weight for two weeks. He was exactly a stone at 12 weeks.....I've now slowly changed him over to Arden Large Puppy and he has really filled out and put on a stone in two weeks. Now I'm worried, I am only feeding the lower guidelines amount aswell so now don't know what to do as I preferred him svelt rather than stocky. I can't see his ribs anymore either. He doesn't look chubby though.

It's a minefield with kibble. I'm not sure what to do next.....I may go back to Burns but try the other flavour but was concerned he wasn't putting on weight with only one 30 min walk a day :-\

Any advice anyone?

20. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

We started off on Beta puppy which was good by her poo was always a little on the loose side for my liking and she was sooooo gassy! So we switched to Wainwrights and she did really well on that for a while, her poo firmed up lovely, however she was still quite windy so we tried Arden Grange. I was initially dubious because it was a fist bit more than what I wanted to pay. But because it's much better quality we actually need to feed much less than the previous foods so it lasts just as long and really suits her a lot better! At the moment we have only used the chicken and rice one but I want to get her onto the salmon one as it has added omega 3 oils for joint health.