Kibble

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Loopyloo30, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

Morning all!

I'm not so sure Bob's kibble is agreeing with him since we started introducing it back into his diet. To be fair, I've NO idea what he weighs now as we don't have any scales.. so we could be over feeding him perhaps. We both agreed he was on the skinny side - you could actually SEE his ribs the other week. So maybe we have been a bit over generous with portions just to get the weight back on?!

He is having his boosters on Monday so will get him weighed then and then I think we need to buy some scales for the future.

I really hope it's not the kibble though, he was fine with it at the breeders. And I bought a MASSIVE sack of it before we got him. It's CSJ Little Champ... anyway rice & chicken for lunch today see if we can firm him up again....

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Re: Kibble

Poor Bob and his belly troubles. To be honest, I wouldn't get caught up on the number on the scales; Willow is 8kg and her brother was that over two weeks ago! She's a completely different shape to him. Willow's also going through a gangly stage and sometimes her ribs poke through, especially when she twists her body. I thought she'd broken something the other day because she twisted in a weird way and the base of her rib cage stuck out in a really grotesque way. As you know, she had a while with runny poo, too but now it's firm it's a lot easier to tell if we're overfeeding. I don't think I was before (except maybe the odd day where I didn't subtract enough form her meals and did a lot of training) but there was something that wasn't agreeing with her, whatever that may be.

It may be that Bob is sensitive to his kibble, although it's odd that he'd have a problem with it now if it's what he ate before you had him. Do you know that his poo was fine then?

Hopefully the vet will be able to shed some light on it on Monday - Willow has her boosters then, too. Booster buddies!

3. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Don't we just worry over our pups and their food, I know I did. He is still very young and young animals can have upset stomachs for little or no reason.

Molly is also a working strain Lab and they do tend to be somewhat lighter built than a show Lab.

I used to worry about it, but my Vet said she was just petite for a Labrador. She was bouncing all over him at the time so clearly not short of a bit of energy.

I last had her weighed in April when she was just seven months old, just before her spay. She seems to have grown into fine young dog with me just using my hands and eyes to decide whether she is over or underweight.

4. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

Thanks ladies, yes I think I am probably worrying too much :)

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I would check with the vet when you go on Monday :) they do like to worry us though ;)
    Harley was on one kibble and fine, then a few weeks later we realised she was having problems with it. We ended up changing her food after several bouts of chicken and rice