Kong Extreme?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Sage, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Sage

Sage Registered Users

I have a lovely, friendly, 18 month old black lab. We bought him a Kong - the red one - which he destroyed in 5 minutes. So we bought him a Kong Extreme, which lasted a bit longer - 8 minutes... I've posted a picture of the Kong and a picture of my dog to show you he's not got the jaws of an alligator.
    He likes nothing more than trying to get some frozen yoghurt and peanut butter out of a Kong but they just don't last.
    Is there anything out there that lasts a bit longer?

[​IMG]DSCN1598 by quickcammy, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1236 by quickcammy, on Flickr

2. SteveF

SteveF Registered Users

Re: Kong Extreme?

Blimey!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: I`ve never seen a genuine Kong destroyed like that and in such a short period of time!! As far as I know there is nothing that is as strong or lasts longer? I don`t want to appear rude but are they genuine Kongs? There are similar products out there but are inferior in type/strength of rubber/material?

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Heavens, I'm with Steve, my boy destroys everything bar a kong......it's the only thing that survives.

You might try frozen carrots then at least if he heats it it doesn't matter.....

4. Sage

Sage Registered Users

Yes, it's genuine. I emailed Kong and they sent me a refund! I didn't really want a refund, I just wanted a kong that would last a bit longer. :-[

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Wow...Charlie says "respect" - he has never managed to inflict that kind of damage on a kong...

6. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I'm about to phase out Kongs. Molly is not quite such a Kong vandal, but hers usually split around the equator after a few weeks use.

I've tried both standard Kongs and Kong extreme. The extreme merely serves to slow her down.

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Wow :eek:
    Harley destroys a lot of things, but has never managed to destroy a kong. We still have a puppy kong which is in mint condition and I use it most days!

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Goodness me....my boy is a cruncher but he's never destroyed a kong.....I don't know what else to suggest except maybe a Kong Wobbler? ......if we are going our for the eve I put half of dexters dinner in it...they are really hard plastic and don't break even when they throw them up in the air to get the contents out ( your walk and doors take a bashing though ) x

9. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Now I've seen a lot of heavy duty chewers in my time working in rescue kennels and I have to say that I have seen a couple of kongs end up like this - a fee were from really determined chewers but they were mostly breeds with really strong jaws (think staffi or bull breed types), and I've seen a few kongs end up like that because they've perished from being left outside.

I don't think any toy can claim to be 100% indestructible because if it was it would surely be hard enough to break teeth when chewed!!

You have got one powerful chewer there! Have you thought about the kong wobbler or an activity ball or puzzle instead? Doesn't involve any chewing so may last a bit longer!!

10. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Wow - you really have got a powerful chewer!!

Tatze and Gypsy don't chew their Kongs, they lick at them - then when the frozen food is soft they bounce them to get it out.

Have you tried the giant nylabones?

11. Mike

Mike Registered Users

You may need to evaluate what you are putting in the Kong , I assume because he is possibly not getting enough out of it within a certain time frame so he opts to try and destroy the kong quicker the better in his eyes .

I fill 2 kongs with layers of frozen veg and raw meat and Jake is a serious power chewer 2 kongs last him 6-7 hours , Alternatively you could possibly try a Kong wobbler which is plastic and maybe still use kongs .

One thing to consider is that with peanut butter and frozen yoghurt their is alot of sugar content health wise not great and may maybe getting a sugar high making him a dark destroyer , Frozen meat and veg filled kongs or a kibble filled wobbler would ensure a healthy balanced diet .

12. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Pongo is speechless with admiration.
    Sorry, no more help than that... :eek:

13. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

Elsie has taken end off two kongs so far, from what I can see it's when I freeze them the problem starts. You may find not freezing them and making the filling easier to get out helps but of course that defeats the purpose really.

Other than that I am not sure what to suggest, we are looking for alternatives too.