Kong sizing

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by snowbunny, Nov 8, 2014.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Before I got Willow, I bought her a couple of medium sized puppy kongs. She's doing great with them, but I thought I'd (dib dib dib) be prepared and get her a couple of bigger ones for when she's grown up. I ordered them on Amazon; two medium original kongs. I figured because they were the ones for dogs rather than puppies, they'd be bigger. But they just arrived and they're exactly the same size! The only difference is they're red instead of blue and feel a bit more heavy-duty.

Is it just me that thought this was weird?

So, what size kong do you use for your fully grown dogs?

2. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Re: Kong sizing

I started with a tiny puppy kong, then went up through the sizes as Bouncer grew. The smallest kong jas dissapeared so either he has eaten it or burried it.

Here are the two remaianing ones. Knife for scale. (I cant remember the sizes)

left stuffed with boiled egg, right stuffed with boiled egg, tuna & pate.

[​IMG]

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We use the red medium ones for our dogs, puppies and adults. :)

I have nine(!) which I put frozen, soaked kibble in and keep in the freezer for when needed (usually if we go out but also if they need a calming down time). They last a good long time when frozen, and the kibble is out of their food allowance.

[​IMG]

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I have a pink large puppy kong that I brought when I got Harley, I also have a red medium (it's the same size as the puppy one, but stronger), and a red large kong. One is always in the freezer :)

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I mostly use the red /black medium ones....I've got a few of the little ones that I use if it's first time visitors and he needs something to occupy him for a short period...I've also got 2 what must be large but they aren't kongs...one,the yellow one is called Sumo...I keep these for when we are going out for an eve and he'll be alone for 4 hours...he also gets half his dinner in a wobbler on those occasions x

[​IMG]
    image by dexterpops02, on Flickr

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I have a red medium and a black (tough) medium now.
    Although one is currently hiding from me :-\
    I bought them new this year for when cousin Georgie visited. Different colours so I could make sure there was no arguments. Last year there was a standoff....... :D
    At least I know who should have which. Black one was more difficult to empty as stiffer.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I have a couple of puppy kongs left (light blue) but use everything from small red (for small dogs rather than puppies) up to large. I find the large ones don't last as long as two mediums, so don't use them much.

Large at the front, medium in the middle, light blue puppy, and small on the right after the puppy kong.

[​IMG]photo (8) by JulieTandCharlie, on Flickr