1. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

I was wondering which size of Kong do you use?

2. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I usually use the medium ones as Harley seems to dislike holding the large ones.

3. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Aren't they too small to put something in it? When I look at the recipes I need a XL.....i once bought a Kong, put peanut butter in it. Finn liked it very much but couldn't empty it. The peanut butter was very sticky, so I washed the Kong in the dishwasher. I think it was a M.

It took Finn half an hour to empty as far as, and then left it for he couldn't empty it. After the dishwasher the Kong stayed sticky

4. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Oh yeah, cleaning peanut butter out of a Kong is a nightmare, learnt my lesson on that one! Lots and lots of scalding hot soapy water :( I now stick to soft, non-sticky food.

Surprisingly, my pink puppy Kong looks the same size as the medium adult Kong, but it has more room inside. Weird.

Anne123 likes this.
  5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Moderator Forum Supporter

@Anne123 - I find peanut butter really sticky too.
    It sticks in your mouth.
    I know Lilly struggles a bit if it gets stuck to the roof of her mouth.
    I just put a little of it smeared in the Kong, just for the appealing smell/flavour.
    Might you have put too much in Finn's kong?
    A quick easy option is a bit of kibble layered with squished in banana - frozen if it goes too quickly!

Anne123 likes this.
  6. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Yes, exactly! That's what makes me curious what to use for an three year old!

7. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

@drsj@5, Finn loves peanut butter. It was just a small bit I put in, but by licking it went into the Kong and I couldn't get it out. Btw, i don't like peanut butter either.....

Finn likes yoghurt very much and banana. Also blueberry and a lot of other things. But it won't go into a medium Kong, at least I think so. Also the amount of frozen food is important to me. I like him to have fun with it for a while. Normally he gobbles everything down his throat. I like him to be entertained by the Kong...

8. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Harley LOVES natural yoghurt and we vary what else goes in it...... tuna, banana, sardines, kippers, carrots etc. I mix it into a bowl the spoon it into the kong (I put cling film around the kong to stop leakages) then freeze it. It takes Harley (aged 3) about 20-30 mins to finish it all. I found with the L and XL she got bored part way through!

Anne123 likes this.
  9. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Use a bottle brush to clean them they are good too get the stuck in the corners bits. I use things like flaked white fish and plug the end with a cube of crispy fish skin I sometimes freeze. I'm not to keen on peanut butter. I mix different things in yogurt kibble etc. I use a medium. I do have a huge one which I use ocasionally

Anne123 likes this.
  10. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

I have medium ones (yes, the medium adult ones are the same size as the medium puppy ones) and large ones. I have a whole stack of them, so when I make something to stuff them with, it fills about 8 or so kongs, which then get piled into the freezer. Our freezer has three draws. One for us, one for the dogs and one for the ferrets! :D

drjs@5 and Anne123 like this.
  11. Boogie

Boogie Moderator

I have nine medium ones :)

They are stuffed with soaked kibble then frozen.

IMG_2387.JPG

drjs@5 and Anne123 like this.
  12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I have small, medium and large. I have some tiny pink ones from when Betsy was just 8 weeks old - I thought these were puppy small, so I'm not sure about the sizing now.

I buy tins of Charlie's normal food in a wet form to use in kongs - neither his nor Betsy's dry food goes very mushy when soaked, and I don't find it works very well.

I no longer freeze kongs. If I want them to last longer, I give the dogs a bigger size (you don't have to fill them so they are full).

It doesn't matter what size of kong I give Charlie, he can always empty them. Betsy gets small and medium kongs, but can't quite empty a medium one completely. She is highly motivated to try though, because big brother is waiting, and waiting, for her to give up then will finish it off in a flash. :D:D:D

Granca, drjs@5 and Anne123 like this.
  13. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Thank you for giving me an idea about the size and the way to use the Kong. I apparently did it wrong. I put peanut butter in the small hole, then mixed kibble with peanut butter to put in it and closed it with peanut butter. When I came home I had one 'peanut' in the bench.....

Tomorrow I will buy some kongs. Nice birthday present for him as he will be three tomorrow!!!

Boogie and drjs@5 like this.
  14. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

15. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Wowsers. Those look awesome.