kongs you can stuff - what do i use?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by blackjack, Aug 22, 2013.

1. blackjack

blackjack Registered Users

hi all,

Right ive decided to get jack a stuffable kong, i picked up the leaflets from the vets but wantto know what people use to stuff them? i like the idea of squeezy cheese but will that upset his tum?

thanks in advance

2. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

Re: kongs you can stuff - what do i use?

We use soaked kibble, then freeze the whole thing. Charlie loves it. x

3. blackjack

blackjack Registered Users

thank you, what do i soak it in? how long does it take to freeze? how do i stop it falling out the holes and lastly what size do you have, im looking for a large one.

4. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

I have the extra large classic red one for Charlie. The kibble resembles tinned dog food (sort of) if you put hot water on then let it cool for atleast 40 mins,(it swells up and goes moist) then stuff it in. Messy job, but it stays in. Put it in a freezer bag, usually overnight. And it's ready for use next day.

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi, Banana, Banana & Peanut butter, natural yoghurt, shredded veggies, natural yoghurt & Banana here. The Stuffed Kong is your Lobster ;D Helen x

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I need max kongs for least food so use water (ice, obviously) as a filler as much as possible, which helps Charlie's teething:

Loose kibble, then fill with water (with a big bull dog clip to keep hole at bottom close until frozen)
    Water from tins of sardines (bull dog clip again)
    Crushed sea biscuit (dried pressed cod) "dissolved" in water
    A bit of shredded chicken/ham etc, water

I used to put a single quail's egg in a small puppy kong, which took him ages to get out - until he got big teeth, then he just crunched through the kong.

A tip from a book was to shove a bit of dried liver really hard in the small end, so it's difficult for the pup to "finish" the kong - this sometimes works, but not always.

7. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

jlie you dont need to use bull dog clips, its quite easy to smear peanut butter or a salmon paste ,......smear the end of the hole to keep it tight and sealed, :)
    put what ever you want in the kong , bannna/veg/sardines/tuna/mackerel /salmon,......i get a good deal from the market, salmon, mackrel ect all fresh,......i cooked the fish in the oven, i then have a cheap jar of paste salmon, tuna beef, what ever is available , i mix the cooked salmon, half tin of sardines, heap jar of salmon paste to bind it together, a little kimmble mix together, fill the holes, pack it in well, :)