1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Lab Dawson and bird kills

Discussion in 'Dog Training: Principle and Practice' started by Dave Bennett, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Registered Users

Have just seen him with a dead pigeon in his mouth and trying to eat feathers.I am a bird moth butterfly lover but anything that moves is fair game to him.
    Whilst I appreciate it is instinctive is there anyway to train him not to chase and kill any thing that moves?
    The pigeon had probably been killed by a cat but the other day Dawson did get a pigeon but it escaped so may have laid injured which isn't very nice.

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi @Dave Bennett, are you absolutely sure your Lab initially caught the injured he was carrying? I've never seen a Lab who was fast enought to down a healthy bird. The birds normally practice mobbing and a dog can't get anywhere near a flock.

My inclination would be acquire a bird, a large cage and then teach my dog boundaries. It will be somewhat difficult because you will have to proof against the bird moving off (the reason behind acquirig a large cage) and your dog's prey drive kicking in.

3. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Registered Users

I can't do anything now because he's just gone through my last pair of shoes!!!!!

4. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sòrry @Dave Bennett. About 10 years ago I had just bought a new vox amplifier. Had a cable running between the switching pedal and amp. The Lab in mind avatar chomped through the cable. I was in the place you were when you replied. If it's any consolation, she did outgrow her desire to eat everything in sight.

5. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

I think the solution would be to teach your dog to retrieve. That way, you should get any game he does successfully catch retrieved back to you, alive and well - for you to release or despatch. That's what they're bred to do, after all... ;)

Edp likes this.