Labrador bonded pair & separation anxiety

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Kimberly Burcham, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Kimberly Burcham

Kimberly Burcham Registered Users

Hello!, I hope you can help my husband and me. A month ago it was advertised on our small town facebook page that 2 black labs were dumped in a neighborhood and noone in the neighborhood knew where they came from. They requested help in fostering till owners were found and then possibly new home for them. The lady said they looked like they were a bonded pair. My husband and I volunteered to foster while looking for owners. We ended up keeping them since noone came forward. It has been a month now at our home which is a very calm and stable place. Our kids are adults and not living there. The 2 labs are 1 female and 1 male. Neither fixed. The vet says the female is about 1 year old and the male 2-3 years old. He is very high anxiety. And his seperation anxiety is through the roof! So much so even though he is house broke we have to crate him upon leaving. (we found this out the hard way when we came home 2 days in a row with chewed up living room throw pillows!) He is Sammy. Sally, the female is very laid back, very well behaved and has even gone to work with me. Sammy will not let you pet her if he is close to you and sees you reach down to her. He also will, dispite our telling him no and showing him no attention when he does this, tries to get in our lap or jump on us to get his attention when he is freaking out because you arent showing him attention. He has even chosen to try to get petted instead of eating or playing outside. Honestly it is exhausting. We have tried different methods of things we have seen on the internet and nothing is working. His behavior is so stressful when company or family stops by, he just gets so full of anxiety. Would he better alone in a home or would it possible be more stressful? I am not sure these two are bonded honestly? They will play together some but they do not sleep together or have to be next to each other at all times. My husband and I just do not know what to do. We love dogs and willingly adopted these two. But Sammy is so hard to handle. Any tips or do you think he might do better being the only dog in a household? Or would those "calming chews" be of any benefit? Ive been unsure of those because would rather change behavior then rely on that. Please help!

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Kimberly Burcham

It was good of you to help them.

I suggest you seek the services of a good, positive dog behaviourist. You need an experienced trainer to come to your home, and actually observe and evaluate them. And offer specific solutions. Where are you located? We may be able to help to suggest an organisation you could contact.