Labrador growling - have I done something wrong?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Ecjh94, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Ecjh94

Ecjh94 Registered Users

Hello,
    I have a 18 month old lab who has recently started growling. He is not netured and we haven’t had any other problems with him. Over the past few weeks we have started to notice that he is becoming grumpy. He used to want to be involved with everything but now he is not so bothered. In the evening I used to sit on the floor and play with him. I no longer can do this as he is now starting to growl at me. If I go to smooth him and he knows the contact is coming he growls. It’s almost as if he is frighten of me. He’s ears go back and he half cowers. I would like to point out I have never smacked him and I just tell him no and walk away when he growls. I am starting to feel unsafe around him as I can not pinpoint why this is happening. Any advice would be really appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

2. Chewies_mum

Chewies_mum Registered Users

I'm sorry that you are dealing with this. It sounds like a stressful situation.

The first thought that comes to my mind is that it is worth taking your dog to the vet as sudden behavioural changes and an aversion to being touched could indicate that he is in pain or feeling unwell in some other way. Growling could be his way of communicating that.

Good luck and I hope it works out.

Michael A Brooks likes this.
  3. 4theloveoflabs

4theloveoflabs Registered Users

Almost sounds like he is in some sort of pain. I would take him to the vet to make sure he hasn’t hurt his neck or back

4. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

My vote for pain. Get to the vet for an assessment.

5. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

And as for the growling itself. Don’t say or do anything except calmly back away. He is just communicating his feelings and asking for space.