Labrador health scores

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by zlatski, Feb 11, 2019.

?

Once the litter is born should we pick a pup from the litter?

Poll closed Feb 18, 2019.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. zlatski

zlatski Registered Users

Hi all, this is my first post as we have registered with a number of Labrador breeders for a puppy. The family and I cannot wait to get our first lab with news that there will a pup born end of Feb. I do have a concern with the health scores provided, in particular the elbow score for mum.

I am hoping someone could shed some light as to wether I should be overly concerned with the following results:

Dad - Hip 2,2 elbow 0,0. Dad has clear test results for EIC and PRA
    Mum - Hip 1,0 elbow 2.6,0. Mum is clear by parentage.

Keep in mind that I understand that there is no guarantee that the lab will be healthy even with perfect 0,0 scores and perfect diet/ exercise. I just want to make sure that I'm doing all I can to ensure a health lab for the family.

thank you and I look forward to contributing in the near future.

Steven

2. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Hi Steven - I'm glad you're doing your homework, it can save a lot of heartbreak later!

Are you in the UK? Since sometimes health results and the way they are measured differ, country by country.

Assuming you're in the UK: The mum's elbow result doesn't make any sense. Elbow results are given/recorded as one number: Either 0, 1, 2, or 3. I've no idea what a "2.6" elbow result is - but anything which is not a 0, you don't want.

Do you have the KC registered names of the dogs? This is important information to get and it should be in the ad or given to you by the breeder. If you have their names, then put the names into Mate Select and check the results recorded by the KC for them: https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/mateselect/Default.aspx Click on 'Find a Dog's Health Test Results' and put the name in there...

Daniel Boldero likes this.
  3. zlatski

zlatski Registered Users

Hi, I am from Australia.

4. Daniel Boldero

Daniel Boldero Registered Users

Hi,

I am in a very similar situation as zlatski time wise but have the added challenge the medical reports and family tree are in Dutch !.

If anyone can shed any light on these scores I would very much appreciate it.

Bitch :-

https://www.houdenvanhonden.nl/generaties-gezondheid-online/hond-details/?id=0016272823040526

Dog :-

https://www.houdenvanhonden.nl/generaties-gezondheid-online/hond-details/?id=0013671372830686

If I can help with any extra information please ping me, no problem at all

Many thanks
    Dan

5. Jo Laurens

@Daniel Boldero it looks like both the dogs you posted have HD-A results there, which I understand is good. I don't understand the elbow results in Dutch though... I would recommend you find someone Dutch who is knowledgeable about dogs and can help you on that one... You might find a Facebook group that can help you.

This is interesting by way of comparison but doesn't cover Dutch or Australian testing: https://www.bva.co.uk/uploadedFiles/Content/Canine_Health_Schemes/chs-comparison-of-hd-schemes.pdf

@zlatski I wonder if @Michael A Brooks can help you with the Australian scheme, since he is in Australia...or Tasmania which I assume has the same scheme(!)?

Meanwhile, I've found this: http://ankc.org.au/HealthAndWelfare/?id=2516

Another idea, is to call your vet (or whoever you hope will become your vet!) and ask to speak to them on the phone. Tell them you will be bringing your new puppy to their practice. They should surely understand the hip scoring and elbow scoring system in Australia and be able to explain the results.

Daniel Boldero likes this.
  6. Daniel Boldero

Daniel Boldero Registered Users

Thanks very much Jo, I will get on it and hopefully come back and post my findings. Meanwhile...…

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X0IDskJY4sEsnRv-umffOr-B0QNIz8gN/view?usp=sharing

The litter is 1 week old today, we are going over to the breeders in 2 weeks just for a social visit ( not to choose the pup ) but what I do know is there are 5 males and 3 females and we have 1st dibs on 1 of the 3 females and im not going to lie, We cant wait !!.

7. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @zlatski

@Jo Laurens has broughy your query to my attention. I can hep you with the hip and elbow scores. I'm down in Tamania, which is a state of Australia.

Are you able to type or copy and paste the scores on the site here as they are exactly written on the result sheet? You should be looking for a numeral or symbol, which will be circled, and a second number, which can have one decimal point in it.

8. Jo Laurens

@Michael A Brooks did you see @zlatski 's post at the top? The bit I just pasted.... is that info useful?

9. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Jo Laurens

Depending on when the elbow scores were done, there should be two bits of information for each elbow. The radiologist measures the amount of bone damage and reports it as a figure in milliimetres. There should be a measurement for each elbow. There should also be elbow grade scores for each dog. I have asked @zlatski to write out exactly what appears on the test sheet. I strongly suspect that that person has reported just the mm figures. But I would like clarification. There are also incomplete results for the Dam. I don't know whether they are not available or just not included.

Jo Laurens likes this.