Labrador Puppy Exercise Requirements

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by lucy@labforumHQ, Aug 13, 2015.

1. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

If you are confused about how much exercise your puppy actually needs, then you are not alone. Check out this article to find out more about Puppy Exercise Requirements

2. murphthesmurf

murphthesmurf Registered Users

Good article - but I thought the 'rule' was 5 mins per month UP TO twice a day? i.e. 4 months old could have 2 x 20 min walks?

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Some say once a day, some say twice which makes it difficult to decide which is best. I think the main point is that walking is monitored and adapted according to other activities. Juno had one walk a day but numerous playtime both indoors and outside. If she had 2 walks a day I would reduce the energetic play accordingly.

4. murphthesmurf

murphthesmurf Registered Users

It is confusing! I think the main rule is no stairs and "not too much" although we are finding it harder the bigger he gets, he seems to have loads more energy and 15 mins off lead really isnt cutting the mustard!

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I always introduce some training into walks as well, particularly when off-lead. Puppies tire quiet quickly with 5 - 10 minutes of training several times a day plus the walks, plays etc. I ended up on walks with Juno, not so much by time but by distance so as she grew we would walk a bit further before turning to go back, or do a lap around the park etc. I took the same approach when she was on restricted exercise after surgery and worked on increasing the distance on a walk as much as the time. For me one of the main problems is that if you build their stamina too young, you have a young, super-fit dog that wants to walk for miles every time they are out instead of being content with less :)

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I took the 5 minute rule as lead walking, not off lead play. When Harley was 4 months old we walked to the park on lead - 5-10 mins, had 30 mins off lead then 5-10 mins lead walk home. When they are off lead they can stop when they need to rest and often just walk around sniffing.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

When Charlie was a puppy, and playing with other dogs, or out in exciting places, "oh, I'm getting a bit tired, I'll just have a little break" was not a thought that crossed his mind. :rolleyes:

So I just interpreted the 5 minute rule as a caution to prevent a small puppy from doing too much, and left it at that.

I always thought it meant total exercise - apart from pottering round quietly.