labrador puppy foor

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by shoppermum, Jan 7, 2014.

1. shoppermum

shoppermum Registered Users

Hi, Im new to the site, but have read lots of messages so decided to join. We are expecting our new choc lab in 5 weeks. Obviously I want everything ready. So I thought i'd ask you guys whats the best puppy food for labs? my brother has two working labs and swears by skinners field & trial. The breeder is using science plan, and im aware to leave it a few weeks to settle before we start to change the food (slowly mxing them).
    thanks, an excited soon to be lab owner ;D

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: labrador puppy foor

Hello there,so exciting preparing for your puppy and a very warm welcome to the forum .......now,sit back and wait for all the differing opinions and advice you will get,this is an extensive topic that comes up all the time,it is much discussed and usually leaves me feeling every type and brand of dog food is represented by one of us on here ;D
    I have my first dog Dexter a yellow working lab 15 months old,but he is with us as a pet and we play with training for fun and activity.he came to us on Euknaubka puppy from the breeder,I changed him over to Royal Canin Maxi after being told it was a better quality product( I accepted this blindly from friends who have a black lab related to ours :-[).....we had 2 months of really runny stools ......investigations concluding ( after several other factors had to be considered....a case of giardia,a country change,plane journey,climate/water change)that Dexter just has a really sensitive tummy so we changed to Royal Canin gastro Intestinal puppy on vets recommendation and that settled him down....we graduated onto the adult version at 12 months ...
    When you get a chance tell us a bit more about your puppy,is he/she related to your brothers dogs?
    Best wishes Angela ....from RAINY Dubai ;D

3. Indy

Indy Registered Users

Hi Welcome,
    We have 2 working labs and they are fed Skinners Field and Trial Duck and Rice are fine on it with shiny coats and good solid poo's. :p

We also have a puppy 8 weeks old which is on Beta puppy which we are going to change to Skinners puppy Lamb and Rice.
    Really like Skinners as it is hypoallergenic and is wheat-gluten free.

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi, welcome from me and Harley (5 months old). She is my first ever dog, and I'm loving it :)
    I, like Angela, use Royal Canin Gastro as it has helped settled her tummy and in turn harden her stools :)
    Lots of different people prefer different foods, so I'm sure you will get lots of advice. Each dog is different and will get on with some food and not others!n
    Good luck and please post pics when you get your pup :D

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Warm welcome from me too , plus two year old black Lab Sam and our rescue Millie :)
    I feed Skinners Field and Trial to both of mine , the Salmon and Rice one , dogs seem to be good on it , nice coats and firm poo , plus the no wheat is a plus for me as wheat tended to make Sam a bit itchy :)

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

We've ended up on Skinners too because of itchy skin.

As a puppy tho riley was on science plan which was ok but I thought it was expensive for the ingredients listed.