Labrador Recall

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Bud Light/Dilly Dilly, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Bud Light/Dilly Dilly

Bud Light/Dilly Dilly Registered Users

Buddy is 21 weeks old now. Over the past couple months I have really been focused on long lead training and recall in distracting environments. The hard work has paid off. My Bud has been coming on my recall command. Yesterday was his toughest test as I was letting him play with his golden doodle friend in the yard and I wanted to test out his progress.... so I said “Buddy come” and he instantly stopped playing with the golden doodle and ran over to me. He did it multiple times through out his play time and was rewarded every single time with praise and cheese. He’s been doing it very well around the house as well when he’s in the yard and when I want him to come inside. It’s almost like it’s programmed in him right now, which is awesome. Going to keep it going and stay consistent but I figured I would share because I am extremely happy and proud :) especially since this was one of the main things about training in general I felt would be hardest to teach.

EmmaHughes, Jade, Jo Laurens and 2 others like this.
  2. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Well done :clap: great work

Bud Light/Dilly Dilly likes this.
  3. Bud Light/Dilly Dilly

Thanks! It really feels great :)

4. LoopyLuna

LoopyLuna Registered Users

That's fantastic, well done. It's such a fantastic feeling when they come running to you from other dogs. Even if it is just to get the amazing treats :) We found that if we didn't keep reinforcing it all the time in different environments as she got closer to adolescence, she got a bit "in my own time" about it, so we've gone back a few steps in the Total Recall book to try and get it a bit tighter. We'll see how that goes! But huge well done on your recall success.

5. Bud Light/Dilly Dilly

Thanks a lot! I enjoyed reading your post. We all have to keep at it!

6. Jade

Jade Registered Users

That's excellent. Congratulations...

7. Bud Light/Dilly Dilly

Thanks Jade.

Jade likes this.
  8. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

I seem to be detecting a pattern here. This is the second report I have just read in the last 5 minutes on really successful training. Well done @Bud Light/Dilly Dilly

9. Bud Light/Dilly Dilly

Thanks a lot @Michael A Brooks. I’m learning so much on this site, and your tips specifically have played a large part in my dog’s every day training.

10. Michael A Brooks

Thank you @Bud Light/Dilly Dilly. But you are doing all of the hard work. Well not so hard, when it is so rewarding. My ears pricked that your daughter exhibited a sea change in her attitude towards your dog. You should be proud of your training. There will be ups and downs but onwards and upwards seems a particularly apt salutation.

11. Michael A Brooks

Oops confused one detail re diablo and your accounts. Sentiment still applies.