labradors and sticks

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Brenda, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Brenda

Brenda Registered Users

I have just spent a very traumatic week after my 13 month lab retriever swallowed a stick (20cm). He loves to pick up sticks and during a game of fetch, managed to swallow one. I was on my own and whilst trying not to panic as his breathing became laboured, and he collapsed, I got the stick out. Then followed admission to our local vet and subsequent transfer to a vet hospital to have a CT scan and then a long op. Thankfully he is now home (after 6 days) and is on the road to recovery, sporting a big scar. I have been feeling incredibly guilty as I hadn't thought through the consequences of sticks. I will be ordering a kong stick when he has recovered. I post this in case other lab owners are not aware. :(

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: labradors and sticks

thank you for posting Brenda and I'm so glad your boy is home and on the mend !

3. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi Brenda, and welcome to the forum.

What a horrendous experience and I am glad your dog is recovering well. Like Barbara said, thanks for posting your story, it might prevent somebody else's dog having such a nasty accident.

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Brenda and welcome. So sorry to hear about your experience, hope your boy is soon fully recovered from his op.

Pippa

5. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

hi brenda...welcome to the forum from me jasper 7 month,.....thank goodness your boy is recovering,....what a bad experience you have had :(

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Welcome Brenda, we are Hattie almost 6 years and Charlie 2 1/2 years. I am so sorry for you and your boy and glad he is recovering. My Kong stick arrived yesterday - 50cm medium, looks huge to me ;D Helen x

7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hello and welcome Brenda , what an awful traumatic thing to happen , so pleased that your boy is on the mend . I got my two year old Lab a safestix ages ago, for this very reason , he loves it :)

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

What size did you get Kate? Helen x

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

the medium Helen x

10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh what a fright,so glad he recovered,you must have been beside yourself and hopefully by posting on here other dogs and owners won't have to go through similar ,best wishes for continued recovery x

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Welcome and thank you for posting. I'm going to show your post to the other half NOW.

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Brenda, welcome from me and Lilly too.
    What a shock for you indeed - really scary - I think there were some recent facebook posts about this, and I know we have discussed safestix and stick injuries on the forum before. But its so easy just to pick up a stick when passing on a walk, and chuck it for a bit of fun. I know with Lilly's retrieving skills ::) if I threw a safestix I would be the one fetching it myself - unless I send Sophie ;D
    I just hope your boy is on the mend. Try not to blame yourself though - hindsight is an annoyingly late sense :(

(was it a pink one Kate?)

jac

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Emm yes Jac, I threw a frisbee for Charlie today he looked at it and then at me and turned his nose up at it, so don't have too much hope for the safestix ::) Maybe Hattie will enjoy them :D Helen x

14. heidrun

[quote author=charlie link=topic=2206.msg20159#msg20159 date=1375822507]
    Emm yes Jac, I threw a frisbee for Charlie today he looked at it and then at me and turned his nose up at it, so don't have too much hope for the safestix ::) Maybe Hattie will enjoy them :D Helen x
    [/quote]

Helen, none of mine are into frisbees. Have you got a rabbit fur dummy?

15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Heidrun, no I don't have one of those. Helen x

16. heidrun

Try it! ;) ;D

17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

OK, do I get a half or full covered as I know nothing about dummies? Now this is Charlie we are talking about, do you really think he will retrieve it? ::) I have spent a small fortune on getting him to retrieve :eek: Helen x

18. heidrun

[quote author=charlie link=topic=2206.msg20165#msg20165 date=1375824112]
    OK, do I get a half or full covered as I know nothing about dummies? Now this is Charlie we are talking about, do you really think he will retrieve it? ::) I have spent a small fortune on getting him to retrieve :eek: Helen x
    [/quote]

You could start with a simple rabbit fur covered tennis ball which is relatively inexpensive.

19. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Brenda, I am so sorry to hear about your dog's accident. It must have been a shocking experience for you both. Well done on your quick action!! I hope he makes a fast recovery and is back to being his normal self soon.

20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Could lose a ball at least a dummy is bigger so could be false economy, which dummy? in for a penny in for a pound ::) Thanks Helen x