Labs and the cold

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by alschwahn, Sep 14, 2017.

1. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

I live in Wisconsin and the winters can get pretty harsh. Freezing temps. lots of snow, ice, etc. I know Labs are pretty good dogs for adjusting to temp and weather but do you have any recommendations for winter precautions?

Aspen will be about 7-8 months old once we get our first snowfall. He is an indoor dog.

I know I should keep him away from salt used to melt ice, but do I need to worry about his paws being cold? Like if we go for a walk on the frozen lake, will his paws be okay?

First time dog mom questions :$

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hehe, I live in a ski resort, and it gets pretty chilly, as you can imagine. When Willow and Shadow were pups (born August, so still quite young for winter), I kept an eye on them. Shadow got cold quite quickly, and would shiver, so we kept time playing in the snow short on the coldest days. Luna was a different kettle of fish; she has a proper Labrador coat and runs hot, so she never had any issues in the snow at all, and she was much younger (born late October).
    So just see how he goes. Cold and wet is worse than cold and dry.

alschwahn likes this.
  3. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

The biggest paw problem for us is usually salt related, but if she steps in water/melting snow then back into full snow or cold pavement, her paws get cold and she starts holding them up. We do use a paw protector but usually once she's obviously cold, we head home. We have a dog jacket (more for style, but also because she lost a lot of belly fur do to allergies last year, and was actually cold). On super cold/high wind chill days, we usually break the long walk into 2 shorter ones, but honestly I think that is more for our benefit!

alschwahn likes this.
  4. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Ours spend a lot of time in the snow, though it is probably not as cold as Wisconsin. I think as long as they are moving they will be fine. Ours get a little cold sleeping in a snow cave, so I have an insulated pad and a fleece blanket with a waterproof layer if they are going to be sitting around or sleeping in the snow. We don't use salt, so that is not an issue. Lab paws don't seem to collect snowballs like my neighbors Samoyed (go figure).

One of my friends did a several day guided sled trip in Alaska a few years ago. The sled dogs were huskies, but they had a Lab that ran along with the sleds and spent the time outdoors just like the huskies. I don't know what he did at night.

alschwahn likes this.
  5. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

It gets very cold here in the winter and we pretty much go outside in all of it. Their feet can get cold but it's only ever a few times when I see him lifting a foot off and not wanting to walk on it. I warm up his paw with my hands and then he's good to go again. Our walks are shorter in the winter but we still get out. The salt can bother their feet so keep an eye out for it.

alschwahn likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Here in Germany we do get snow, but nowhere near as much as you. I agree; cold dry snow does not seem to bother the dogs too much, it's really when they get wet and cold that they feel it - in this case they need drying off obviously and being somewhere warm to warm up.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    alschwahn and Snowy like this.
  7. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

To add another cold place to the "reassurance list". For much of our winter, temps are so low that they don't use salt as it's too cold for it to be effective. People still take their dogs out.
    Agree with Karen that "damp and cold" is worse than "dry and cold", so it's not just a question of thermometer reading.

alschwahn likes this.
  8. choclab

choclab Registered Users

When we first got our lab, the winters were pretty cold and she did fine. I don't think we've ever had a problem with her paws getting too cold, but definitely look out for that! I wouldn't worry too much though, as long as you take regular precautions you should be fine!! My lab loves the snow :heart:

alschwahn likes this.
  9. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I live surrounded by ski resorts too. Our cold and snow depth can match yours some winters. So I ditto @snowbunny and others above. Oban was a puppy his first winter, 8 weeks old when we picked him up Dec. 8, in a snowstorm that doubled our drive time home to three hours. LOL His little baby puppy toesie woesies got cold a few times and he stopped and held them up to me. Now he is adult, as your boy almost is, there is no stopping him in winter.

ONE warning from our breeder, not too much bounding through deep snow, it can be very hard on joints, especially hips. You try to run through deep snow, it's the same for you. Heat is far more of a concern for us, far, far more.

alschwahn, Karen and snowbunny like this.
  10. Lara

Lara Registered Users

We don't live anywhere at all snowy or cold, the lowest it normally gets is a few degrees C below zero with some frost. However, Indie doesn't have a thick lab coat and is pretty much bald on her underside. She shivers when we step out in the mornings for our walk, with her tail tucked under. And she also freaks out a bit with heavy rain on her body. Once we get going she warms up. Do you think I should buy her a lightweight coat, or is that mollycoddling? Basically I want an excuse for dog shopping but will restrain myself if not necessary...:oops:

alschwahn and Plum's mum like this.
  11. snowbunny

This is a very good and important point, especially this first winter, while his growth plates are still open. They love it, so everything in moderation, but make sure it isn't for long.

This is the same as my two adults; they don't have the standard thick coat either - I didn't fully appreciate what that even was until Squidge came along! Still, they don't get cold anymore. As above, though, there is a huge difference between the sort of cold we get, where it's so cold it's dry, and the sort of cold you get in the UK, where it may be 30 degrees or more warmer than we are, but it's always damp and it makes your bones cold! When I was there over the winter last year, we went to the beach every morning and they didn't get cold; I just made sure I dried them off when we got into the car, and put their Ruff n Tumble coats on for the drive home.

If my dog was shivering, I'd buy a coat, for sure.

alschwahn and Lara like this.
  12. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I used a fleece when I took my old dog to hydrotherapy and if the weather got cold it made his back ache it really helped.my brother uses them for his lurches and greyhound too. I have one for Moo and rory :rolleyes: never really used that much
    www.equafleece.co.uk the are very warm and washable.

alschwahn likes this.
  13. snowbunny

The most important thing to remember is Forum Rule 32, subsection 49, appendix 3a which states that any forum dogs wearing coats must be photographed and the evidence shared with the community.

Wouldn't want you to get banned for breaching the rules.

Granca, alschwahn, edzbird and 4 others like this.
  14. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Rules is rules:rolleyes:

Plum's mum and snowbunny like this.
  15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I'm going on a water training day with Poppy tomorrow - got her fleece jacket AND her posh new towelling drying coat (like a dressing gown for dogs) packed and ready to go...

SwampDonkey likes this.
  16. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Ok, better provide pictures of Cassie wearing her bottle green towelling robe which was her present from my visit to Blair Atholl Horse Trials.

She's worn it 3 times, the first time she wriggled out of it and lay on it on the sofa, the second time she stood in the middle of the kitchen for 15 mins ,rigid, and the last time lay down and licked her legs! She may come to like it before the free return period is up!

Granca, edzbird and snowbunny like this.
  17. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Cooper and Tilly both have double coats, but Coopers guard coat is much coarser and longer than Tilly's. Tilly still does fine in the cold. I remember a spring cross country ski trip years ago. We came to a lake that was partly thawed, and Tilly jumped down the almost vertical bank and into the lake. My first thoughts were "how is she going to get back out? and she's going to be cold". The climbed up the bank and then dove back in again. These are pretty tough dogs.

18. Lara

Lara Registered Users

Hooray lab forum stamp of approval for more dog shopping :D I just told OH 'the Pig needs a coat, the Labrador forum said' and he rolled his eyes in resignation. There ain't no arguing with the forum :D

Granca, Cath, snowbunny and 3 others like this.
  19. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Quite so.

Anyway it's fine, all the working dogs on the shooting estates in Scotland wear them I'm told.

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Poppy did actually wear her little fleece jacket yesterday after her water training, because there was quite a bit of hanging around waiting for the next task. She likes it!

snowbunny likes this.