Labs in the Middle East???

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Karen, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Does anyone have experience of keeping a lab (or any other dog) in the UAE? Friends of mine are moving to Abu Dhabi, and are intending taking their lovely Labrador with them. Having visited there last week, I cant imagine it would work out very well, though apparently expats do take their dogs with them and manage ok.

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Labs in the Middle East???

Sorry karen, I really dont know, but imagine it might be a bit too hot for them ? Hoping you had a lovely time ?

3. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

When I went to visit the breeder where I got Digby, one of her friends was visiting who lives mostly in Barbados (very nice eh!!). Anyway, she had bought a dog from her and relocated it to the caribbean . I asked how it coped - she said they shed the double coat and only grow a single one and coped fine.
    Turns out he is the show champion of Barbados to boot!!

Just how hot is it there? I lived in the south of france before and although they had all manner of dogs, the lab/retriever/other hairy types always look VERY hot in the summer.

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh, it's terrible in the summer, gets to over 50 degrees, just terrible. Lovely in winter, mind you! But the major problem is that the Arabs don't like dogs, so they are not allowed in public places (parks, shopping malls, public beaches) and have to be on the lead all the time. It sounds dire... But I know people do take their dogs out there, and manage somehow...

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I think I saw a program where they were exercising their dogs indoors on running machines to cope with extreme weather (both hot and cold) in the US. Sounds a bit dull to me though :)

6. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

I suppose more difficult for a dog that's used to running around nice cool (yeah OK cold) grassy british fields to adjust to. Especially if it has to spend so much time indoors.