Lab's Liver Cake

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by caroleb, Sep 25, 2011.

1. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

There are lots of variations on this recipe the main thing to remember is not to be too worried about exact measurements, I promise the dogs will love it anyway!

About 1/2 lb or average size pack of chicken or lambs liver
    4 eggs
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    About 1/2 lb rice flour

I use rice flour for all my recipes as Barney has IBS and wheat aggravates it. Dogs find rice much easier to digest but you can use normal /self raising flour if you wish.

Top Tip - have a sink/bowl of warm water ready to clean your food processor - trust me you don't want to be washing up dried on liver from all those hard to reach bits of your machine!

Put the liver and the eggs in a food processor and whizz until smooth. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and wash up the processor straight away.

To the liver/egg mix stir in the rice flour - just keep adding until you have a thick cake like batter. The amount will vary a lot depending on how much blood in the liver /size of the eggs.

Next tip in to a tin. I use a large roasting tray lined with one of those tefal non stick sheets which are really easy to clean afterwards and make getting the cake out a doddle.

Cook in a moderate oven - about 180 degrees for about 40 minutes - longer if your tin is smaller and deeper - test by sticking a skewer in and see if it comes out clean. This is based on the batter being about 1/2 inch thick

Remove from oven and allow to cool somewhere safe from eager noses.

Cut into bite size chunks (will store in an airtight container for about a week.) If you have more than you need for a week pop into bags in the freezer. The dogs love it frozen or defrosted.

Option - if you don't want to use so many eggs, use two the mix will be heavier more biscuity but just as tasty to a lab. Don't worry if it's a bit over or underdone I promise they won't care and are the best audience to cook for ever!

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Lab's Liver Cake

Sounds disgustingly perfect! :D Thanks Carole. Freezing is ideal, my dogs are quite happy with frozen food. Their favourite is 'tripesicles'

3. Paul

Paul Registered Users

Thanks Carole, always wanted to know how to make. We buy this in small treat sizes at training classes, 50p/bag.

4. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

you're welcome Paul and now you'll realise what a nice little mark up 50p a bag is! ;D

5. zigisla

zigisla Registered Users

How times have changed. 50p in 2011 and now in two years it is £2:00 a bag from my trainer.:(