Lack of Dog Walking is it OK?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by charlie, Jul 17, 2013.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I just wondered if it's OK not to walk during this heat wave. I am a little obsessive about walking them as it's so important, but even last night at about 8.00 pm it was too hot and we had to come home. Will Hattie & Charlie suffer from lack of walks for a while? Thanks Helen x

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Lack of Dog Walking is it OK?

I dont think so Helen , Sams walks have been seriously curtailed for the past ten days , but he doesnt seem too bothered by it, better to be safe than sorry x

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

They will be just fine :)

A bit of training or 'find the hidden treats' etc will help keep them occupied.

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Same here Helen, much less walking in this heat. Super short training sessions in the shade and nothing too energetic. :D

5. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

No walking or training here either, Helen. The dogs just had a cool shower and now they are snoozing in the orchard. That's as energetic as it will get in this heat. :D Don't worry, they will be absolutely fine. ;)

6. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

i have not been walking jasper in this heat,.....my son as been taking him about 8 30 for a short walk/run........i have just done a little play and retrieve in the garden :)......resting now.... :)

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

It's tough going isn't it?one of the biggest reasons it took Chris so long to talk me into getting a dog was the effects of our Summer climate. Alarm goes off 5.15 am we are up and out by 5.30 for 30-40 mins....Back in the car by 6.45 latest depending where we went......can't tell you how many dogs I see just getting taken out then....and it can be mid 30s by that time....Cool down,breathing returns to normal( bloat precaution)breakfast ,then our back garden is in shade until 9.30 so we go out and get sprinkled on( yep me as well!)and have a play then it's pretty much inside except toilet breaks until 4.30 pm when the back garden comes back into shade,more sprinkler fun ;D...Im rocking a good look at the moment I can tell you!6pm....very humid now,was our socialization walk up until 'Beagle-gate this week but that's been ok because we have been practicing our heel work in the garden and as of last night we are in the golf club car-park...then 20 mins or so between 9 -10 pm.no choice for us because it would be The end of October before Dex could have a walk........the priority in our life is working our days around Dex getting his exercise safely ,but that's not a problem it's our responsibility to do so.we are a little envious when we see all your lovely green walking areas and countryside but I guess we will have it our way a little bit come the winter....we won't envy you the chills then and we will have lovely outdoor temps Nov-March...you all sound like you are doing a great job of keeping your pooches cool and nobody will miss a couple of walks while the heat wave lasts .....and while doggies are snoozing in the orchard I hope owners are enjoying G and T's in the garden x

8. lynnelogan

angela you do brilliant with dexter in that heat....he has got a good loving home,....well taken care of :)......i am looking forward to a nice glass of wine with my evening meal ......a bit to early yet :)

9. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

Amy won't let me sit in the garden! She's into chewing the chair as soon as I sit and jumping up with wet pool paws! Little monkey!

10. Dexter

Ooooooh go on Lynne ,it's wine o'clock somewhere in the world and the sun is shining,you don't get it for long,enjoy x

Amy ,treat yourself to something long and cool with a straw then you can avoid the slops when she jumps up.....today doesn't need to be the day to fix that ,tomorrow it might be raining ;D

11. lynnelogan

right thats it then angela wine it is :) jasper would bite through a pool, :)

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Angela, you make me feel like such a wimp...but met office said 32 in London today, and my garden thermo (in the sun) said 39.... this is morning Charlie was pretty listless when we tried our walk, so we're quitting... Haven't got the stamina of the DDDD. We're learning not to be scared of the hosepipe instead...I suppose it's only a matter of time before Thames water stops me using that...

13. Dexter

I know Julie isn't it mad all the rain you get the rest of the year round.....this year I bet you will let your garden die off in favor of your puppy staying cool ;)..... DDDD?..... Have I missed that?dont feel a wimp,I would love to flake out,it's just we can't because this is our life....we are declining evening social invites( at least together) at the mo because we want to get him out when we can.Luckily it's Ramadam so life is quiet ....it won't be for long 8)

14. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

My lot have taken up prime position in front of the fan, ears flapping, tongues lolling (watch out for fan blown dampness of dog origin ???)
    Hebe's up for a short trot in the early hours but we did have to go up to the Post Office late afternoon, 10 mins each way, keen to go but so pleased to get back and flop onto the cool, shaded and soaked concrete yard and that was just me ;D
    Until it cools down significantly we're not going anywhere we don't have to.

Kerryn

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

DDDD - Dexter the Devil Desert Dog (during pull-gate anyway, he isn't really a devil of course, he's a sweetie!).

16. Dexter

He he he Julie....he was Dexter the Desirous Desert Dog that night!!!

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hah, very true! ;D ;D ;D

18. Newpuppymom

Newpuppymom Registered Users

I feel guilty for not really doing much with my dog since its hot. He just sleeps most of the day. but i feel guilty coz i think he is bored?

19. Dexter

I feel I have to comment as an expert on the heat .....if not things lab! I have done extensive interviewing on a lot of Dubai dog owners .... I was perturbed a couple of weeks Back when we got back from our hols ....I felt like Dexter was sleeping the day away ..... I posted on it too because i was worried.i have to remember that our day starts at 5.15 am, that gets ME nevermind the 4 legged one....feedback from the 'park interviews ' supports that in the heat dogs sleep....they are pegged out like we are,maybe even more so ;)In the short term for the UK guys, don't worry about it....enjoy it. I mentioned in a post yesterday our routine, our intense heat goes on for so long Chris and I have to work around it,we want to try and keep our boy sharp but I don't know if the indoor activities we factor in during in day make all the difference?sometimes it takes as much energy to get him interested as it does to 'find' his treat, toy etc.... At the weekend when everything is a bit more chilled,dexter doesn't seem any different for just lying by our feet, watching Telly or belly rubs from visitors ...his behavior, energy levels and interest don't change,when his 'activities' pare down . As responsible dog owners we love to see our dogs enjoying their exercise and activities ( as we do too) but Dexter says its ok to give them a break to flop when it's hot ! X