last post pronise - Insurance

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by blackjack, Jul 10, 2013.

1. blackjack

blackjack Registered Users

ive decided to go with petplan, but do i take life cover at £27 a month or 12 month cover at £16 help!

which do you do?

Jack - 8 months old.

2. David

David Registered Users

Re: last post pronise - Insurance

I'd go for life cover otherwise any chronic conditions that might crop up won't be covered other than the first year.

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Life cover. As was said on the other thread, if Jack has any health troubles this year (touch wood that he does not) or in any future year they will be excluded from his policy the following year if you only take out annual cover. They don't just exclude specific conditions either, but whole body parts (e.g. if he has a knee problem they will exclude both his hind legs and anything under the sun that might happen to them). Annual cover is much cheaper because it is nowhere near as good. The insurance companies can afford to make it cheaper because they end up making fewer payouts with annual cover (which translates to fewer benefits and greater $$ risks to you).

4. blackjack

thanks guys, i think i know what i need to do! life cover it is.

pet ownership = expensive stressful but oh so rewarding!

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=blackjack link=topic=1953.msg16099#msg16099 date=1373460393]
    pet ownership = expensive stressful but oh so rewarding!
    [/quote]
    I think that just about sums it up! ;D

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I quite literally have my petplan in front of me - £12k vet fees per policy per year, £110 excess, covered for life, £3m third party liability.

It costs £55 a month - and I'm thinking hard about this. If Charlie lives for 10 years, the total cost of the policy will be £6600 (ignoring any increases in premiums that might arise if I make a claim). Hmmmm....if I want peace of mind that if something serious goes wrong, it can't be more serious than £12k in one year, despite the covered for life clause. And if the premium goes up if I claim (there is nothing to say it cannot), this might seriously diminish the value of the "covered for life".

Anyway, stressful and expensive - for sure!

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

blackjack - as I packed up the docs, I see that there is a voucher included for 2 months' free cover for a friend (only applies to new policies) - you just send in the voucher with your docs and they refund 2 months. There doesn't seem to be a catch. Do you want it? I could pop it in the post.

8. blackjack

wow Julie thats so kind of you, yes please! im new to the site as well as dog ownership i guess theres a way you can private message me so i can give you my address? :D

9. David

David Registered Users

Yes you just click on the envelope icon under the persons handle and it takes you to a message scree.

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Have sent you PM blackjack

11. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

i have petplan 18 pound a month , when i renew it i am going for the life cover, :)....new to all this , i got the first month free from my vet, ....got another 8 month on the plan :)