LAT: Caspers' logic...

Discussion in 'Dog Training: Principle and Practice' started by Beanwood, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

We have made phenomenal progress with Casper...moving from LAM (look at me..) to LAT (look at that). Casper I don't think demonstrates any fear or anxiety, as long as things don't surprise him, for example a fast bike coming up behind ringing it's bell...hell, I think any dog would act a bit surprised! He still struggles with impulsiveness, we are working on that.

So this morning, armed with a longish bio thane lead (heavy rain...) attached to his back harness we set off. A lot of the walk was off lead, he was perfect...maybe the farm shop premium roasted sausage had something to do with it though! ;)

So, heading back, lovely loose lead, I am perfectly relaxed and so is Casper. We see a man at good distance, having a smoke with his bike leaning against a bench. Perfect! Casper flashes him a super fast look, click! Captured and SAUSAGE! He does this a few times, a very fast look, and back for sausage..the man is getting on his bike..no problem. Not a bark.

Then I make a mistake...by rewarding a look...but...Casper pulled as well...oops...no problem I think..

So, Casper then flashes at a look at the cyclist, at me... then launches himself forward. Holy Cow! I go slipping on wet grass.. straight on my bum..while Casper is just stood there wagging his tail!! Luckily with the memories of the toxic mountain still very fresh in my mind I don't let go of his lead, so at least Cyclist and Casper didn't end up disappearing into the distance...

However, I swear Casper was laughing at me...

I think the morale of the story, is to be very careful what you click for...:)

drjs@5, Hollysdad, Emily and 5 others like this.
  2. Oberon

Oberon Moderator Forum Supporter

Hehe, indeed :)

I once taught my dog to put his foot in a picnic basket....same kind of scenario..

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Moderator Forum Supporter

Oops!

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

You get what you train for! He's smart on the up-take, that one ;)