Laurel berries

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Sue C, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Sue C

Sue C Registered Users

Hi, I wonder if anyone has any knowledge of Laurel berries, my brown Lab Molly was very sick a couple of days ago (on the new carpet of course), it seemed to be fruit and fruit pips. She didn't have any other symptons so we just cleaned it up and though no more about it. Yesterday I found another 2 piles of vomit but don't know who did it Molly or my black Lab Floss. We don't have any trees in our garden that have fruit other than the apple trees but this morning we realised that at the bottom of the garden our neighbour has a large laurel that partly hangs over into our garden we also found a load of berries on the grass. They clearly don't agree with the dogs but other than the vomit they seem fine, not sure if the toxins are long lasting and I should take them both to the vet? Can anybody advise me please?

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Re: Laurel berries

Why not phone the vet to ask, put your mind at rest.

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

From what I've been told, Laurel berries can be poisonous to dog if they chew the pip at all. They can cause vomiting. I would put a call into your vet to get their opinion just to be safe, and try and not let the dogs get to the berries. Hope they are both ok today :)

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I went on the Internet and found the following.

Are laurel berries poisonous to dogs?
    Answer
    Laurel berries are poisonous to dogs if eaten in large quantities and can give the dog stomach upsets. The pits of these berries produce cyanide which can cause health problems related to food poisoning.