Layla's strange tail

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jackie luff, Jan 10, 2014.

1. jackie luff

jackie luff Registered Users

Layla is a black lab (dad is a chocolate show dog, mum a working black lab). I noticed some time ago that she had a little white patch on her tail I thought she had sat in paint at the park where they had lined the football pitch and after a while it seemed to wear away. Anyway its back. The other day I had a closer look and when parting the hair on her tail the hair beneath is white........ is this normal???? Her tail looks perfectly black apart from if the hair parts just never seen this before

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Layla's strange tail

Very interesting. Sounds like it is just the undercoat. Is is just a small area on her tail, or more extensive?

Normally a black Labrador is black all over, down to the toenails. But Labradors can have white patches on the chest (allowed in the breed Standard) and occasionally you get one with mixed colours elsewhere on the body. It can happen in pure bred dogs.

3. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

My older Lab has the odd white hair, my younger one has a white stripe behind his forepaws, the one on the right larger, I chose him for this reason. Both Labs come from a very good gundog breeder and trainer and both their sires are FtCh with masses of FtCh in pedigree. I was told by someone that the white stripes on my dog go back to a famous dog in the 1920s called Banchory Bolo. (Not sure of the spelling!).

4. jackie luff

She has a patch of white undercoat which is probably about an inch wide that darkens out to dark grey/brown and back to black. I'm not worried about it I have no intention of showing her I was just curious As I said unless her hair parts you can't see ti at all. Interesting aren't they oiur lovely labs :)

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

While tracing chocolate labs, ii came across a lovely story here of Bolo (important dog in chocolate lab history) - his white makings were on the bottom of his feet only. If you follow the link at the bottom of the story, there are some photos of a puppy with bolo pads, which are super, super cute.

http://www.lorkenfarms.com/banchory_bolo.htm

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

My friends dog has Bolo spots, they flash when she runs. They're cute :)
    There's a good website with Labrador mis marks too. I'll have to wait til I'm on my laptop to find it but I've posted it before if you feel like searching before I find it, some super cute pups on there!

7. jackie luff

Thanks brown and July I'll definitely have a look

8. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

9. Suthuncat

Suthuncat Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3959.msg45845#msg45845 date=1389370444]
    While tracing chocolate labs, ii came across a lovely story here of Bolo (important dog in chocolate lab history) - his white makings were on the bottom of his feet only. If you follow the link at the bottom of the story, there are some photos of a puppy with bolo pads, which are super, super cute.

http://www.lorkenfarms.com/banchory_bolo.htm
    [/quote]

My black male has a tiny tuft of white mid-chest and small tufts of white behind his footpads! How cool!