Lazy puppy?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by BISMom, May 28, 2019.

1. BISMom

BISMom Registered Users

So I know that puppies sleep a LOT, but every time I take our new 8 week old lab puppy out he will walk out, pee and then lay down in the grass refusing to do anything else, even if he has just woken from a 2 hour nap. Is this normal? I have no idea how to do any training because he literally won't do anything but lay in the grass and try to go back to sleep. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

2. Simba2017

Simba2017 Simba and Minstrel worn out

3. Simba2017

Simba2017 Simba and Minstrel worn out

He is still a baby and has plenty of time to learn. Sleep is growing time. You can also train indoors if he stays awake longer when he is inside. Take a toy outside and see if he is interested in playing with you. Run down the garden and call your puppy to you.
    I know with my pup he will often wake up and want to go straight back to sleep again and then at other times he will be wide awake and will want to play/learn. As he gets older he will stay awake for longer periods and there will be plenty of time to learn. Tasty puppy treats will also keep his attention.

4. jbg

jbg Registered Users

Enjoy it while it lasts ;) This will change. As long as he is eating and pottying ok that there are no other signs pointing to an illness. As the above poster said, he is just a baby :)

5. LoopyLuna

LoopyLuna Registered Users

Hehe! As @jbg says definitely enjoy it while it lasts!!! Little puppies sleep a LOT but generally not when you want them to so make the most of it before the chaos ensues :)

Having said that though, if you are concerned, or if he's always lethargic and not showing any desire to exert himself in play, then it's worth popping him along to the vets to get a check over. He might have a tummy upset or something that's making him a bit sad. It could also be that the new environment is overwhelming him and that in itself could be exhausting.

6. BISMom

BISMom Registered Users

Thank you all for your responses. The puppy is playing and eating just fine when he wants to so I think we are okay. I'm sure he will get more awake and alert as he grows and then I'll be wishing for this stage again.

jbg likes this.