Lead jumping

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Millieboo, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Millieboo

Millieboo Registered Users

I don't know how to ask this in the way I want, but is it normal for the puppies to start jump for the lead and that they want to keep it in the mouth?

This ONLY occurs when I don't got the stroller with me. It don't last for long since I don't take one step further until she lets go, but she's getting worse with trying to make it to a game even if it just continues for max one minute. I always carry her favorite plush squeak toy but she usually takes it and then go back to trying to get the leash.

She is more persistent to try get the lead and she stops herself if she's tired or thirsty (this is not an issue since it is her way to show what she wants but I'm working on that she will push me with the nose instead).
    Millie is soon 18 weeks and she's teething so bad, I was wondering if she's getting into a teenager stage where she's trying to take more control?

At least I don't feel I got that many problems, yet. Millie is fully housebroken since a month back now (yey) and she don't bite anyone or stuff she shouldn't , although she might try to nibble if you smell very good. Plus we don't have to have her crated anymore either (biggest couch potato there is). Don't bark unless something is wrong and she sleep alone in the living room during the night. So I'm a very happy first dog owner there is at the moment and very proud of her.

I'm sorry if my wall of text don't make any sense, I didn't drink my morning coffe yet :p .

2. bouncer

bouncer Registered Users

Not an expert in this, but my puppy used to grab the lead as well. Might be either a play action, anti-lead action or, if teething, maybe the lead is the most comfortable thing to mouth. Mine even chewed through her lead, while waiting her turn at obedience class - embarrassing to be called to the middle, and have no dog on the lead! Your pup should get over it, but others may have further advice, such as anti-chew spray, to stop it.

3. Millieboo

She don't chew it, just want it in the mouth.. Which I'm happy about in one way :p

4. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

My pup still grabs the leash when she is excited - happy to go out for a walk, if we run at all etc. She did it all the time when she was 3-4 months and does it less now that she is older (almost 7 months). When she first started doing it we would stop walking and ask her to sit and drop it. Repeating this over and over, she got that grabbing her leash is no fun. She has a really strong drop cue now, so usually don't need to stop walking, and she'll leave her leash alone after one time when we first leave the house. Try not to make it a game of tug or anything fun - I think mostly it's excitement/a game for them when they are puppies and still learning, not taking control.

Millieboo likes this.
  5. Millieboo

I just felt like it was going so good walking and then suddenly she started to try walk with the leash in her mouth, I always stop and she drops it very fast but we have this session with doing it on and off for about 5mins total in a walk lasting 25minutes. It's not that bothersome I know if I keep on doing what I am she will learn that if she take the leash we stop and won't move until she lets go.

I just really wanted confirmation that I do it right, don't want it to escalate since she's doing so great otherwise.
    I'm still a scared first time dog owner and the fear to be the reason Millie will become a dog that can't control her impulse is my biggest fear.